Nevadans?

Hello,

I am fairley new to BYC and found this thread for Nevadans. I am in Reno, NV in the Hidden Valley area. I have 3 chickens, all about 5 weeks old. I use BYC as a reference for every question I have. Any suggestions for raising chickens here in Reno?

Thanks!

Ali

Hello,

I am fairley new to BYC and found this thread for Nevadans. I am in Reno, NV in the Hidden Valley area. I have 3 chickens, all about 5 weeks old. I use BYC as a reference for every question I have. Any suggestions for raising chickens here in Reno?

Thanks!

Ali

welcome-byc.gif

Um... watch out for predators like CRAZY! Give eggs to your neighbors once in awhile, to stay on their good side. Keep the water container full. And post here often, so you have community support.

Nice to have you aboard!

What predators should I look out for? I know we have hawks, raccoon, and coyotes. Any others? I am building an enclosed run next weekend. Would having cement blocks buried under the frame be good enough to keep them out? Yikes!

Oh, what are the laws about having chickens in Reno? I read somewhere that you need consent from anyone within 350 feet, but then I read something that said it's okay, as long as they are not at large, loud and stinkin' up the place.

What predators should I look out for? I know we have hawks, raccoon, and coyotes. Any others? I am building an enclosed run next weekend. Would having cement blocks buried under the frame be good enough to keep them out? Yikes!

Oh, what are the laws about having chickens in Reno? I read somewhere that you need consent from anyone within 350 feet, but then I read something that said it's okay, as long as they are not at large, loud and stinkin' up the place.
A few Reno people living in town have had raccoon problems. they are pretty vicious.

welcome! the consent law is from las vegas. It's confusing because it's on the same website but those are not reno laws. Reno you can have chickens but are subject to noise ordinances so many of us in neighborhoods don't keep roos to avoid a complaint to animal control. But some do keep roos and have been okay.

for your run, make an apron of hardware cloth that comes out from the side of the run and lays on the ground. about 18" is good. You will find photos of aprons in the coop section of BYC. you don't need to bury it. a predator would start digging right at the side of the fence so that's why the apron works.

You guys really did a number on my Markie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocked and amazed and so filled with love right now. for our fifth anniversary Markie got down on one knee in the 8iddle of venice beach and asked me to marry him. I cant wait to show you guys the ring, its adorable and I am still recouping, lol. Ill get back to yall tomorrow!!!
love.gif
celebrate.gif
Hooray Aubrey! Congratulations to both of you. See? Just mention the shotgun and it works every time!
lol.png

I picked chicharo up from the vet this afternoon. His dental cleaning went well. He didn't need any extractions and had no major problems. the cleaning should help improve the health of his gums and he's in good shape in that respect for being 13 yrs old. He was happy to get back home. In talking to the vet, she didn't think that his gums and teeth looked so bad that it would be causing him lots of pain eating. However, she did give him some pain medicine to take for a few days and see if it helps him eat better. She wants to see him in a few weeks to check his weight. she is concerned that something else may be going on, such as a tumor. His calcium was normal but on the high side of normal and sometimes that can be related to a tumor. So, we'll see how things go.

and on another note, my kids had their preschool graduation tonight. Fun milestone to celebrate. We all had a nice time.
celebrate.gif
Congratulations on the graduation Elizabeth!
I'm so glad Chicharo is okay! My cat Phoebe will be 11 in August and I worry about her getting older. She had a period of weight loss and not eating several years ago not long after I got her. It was right after I had taken her in for a bath and to get all of the mats off of her belly. It turned out she had a herniated diaphraghm. I think the knucklehead at Petco who worked on her got a little too rough with her.
rant.gif
Anyway, she had to have surgery and afterwards everything was fine. Hopefully Chicharo has nothing like that going on. At least he ate the canned food! Maybe he's just getting picky in his old age.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom