Nevadans?

I actually get a thrill out of the Bobcat encounters
hide.gif
I love seeing them. We have not lost a chicken to one in over 3 years. I even know a couple by their looks. One is a smaller, young female that has nice spotting. This older guy I chased off last night has really long legs, 3/4s of a tail and has no spotting. They do get a little too bold at times though. One summer we were on our deck BBQing and I look down into the pasture and here comes this half grown Bobcat, nose in the air, heading right for the house! Now that is just too cozy! I wasn't about to share my dinner with her! We had to shoe that one off
roll.png

The egg that the broody abandoned, that went in the incubator, hatched this morning!
ya.gif
I am waiting for it to fluff up and get more stable on its feet before I give it to the broody. Its brothers and sisters have a head start and I want to be sure it is strong enough to keep up. A blue laced red to black laced red mating is supposed to produce 50% black laced red and 50% blue laced red, but all the chicks from my birds are blue! Which is great! Of the two I hatched from shipped eggs (the parent birds were all blue laced reds) I got one black laced red (sure that is a pullet) and a blue laced red (sure that is a rooster.) They look to be really nice quality chicks, especially the black laced red pullet who is my favorite of all the chicks
smile.png

I've not run into any unfavorable comments about my chickens or gardening as of yet. I think it was a pretty rude comment that person made on your friend's photo, Missy. pretty off-putting no matter whose chicken it was.

I've shopped at thrift stores my whole life. I was embarrassed by it in junior high and high school but now I don't care. I have known people who are disgusted by thrift store shopping but oftentimes they have always had anything they want and haven't had to be resourceful and thrifty so they don't understand.

Missed Sunny's post while I was typing... that was a very good lesson from that man. how nice that he was supportive and helped you change your own thinking.

Quote:
fl.gif

Quote:
Elizabeth, please let us know how your cat does.

Sunny, I'm so happy to read your story! We're friends with an amazing couple that are trying their hardest. The husband recently quit his job because the cost of daycare, medical bills from sick kids, and lost pay for sick kids, left hardly anything. The wife made more money, so he became a SAHD. We were able to give them some of our plants, and they're excited about learning to garden. Anyway, when the wife was a single mom of her first kid, she worked as an exotic dancer. Her husband would really like to go to church, but she's so anti-religion because she feels any religion would judge her for what she did to survive. And I want to stand up and say, "No they won't, because that's what religions teach!" But I'm afraid she's right. People are so human and so fallible. Even in a group of people that receive frequent instruction on loving others and treating them with kindness, there are so many who have not yet reached that point of love. I really hope it can change. She's not atheist, and she has beliefs... and she will fully stand up and defend herself because she feels that she did what she had to do to feed her son... but is afraid that if she goes somewhere to practice, that her family will be persecuted.

When I was a single mom and worked as a nightclub bouncer, I got a lot of judgement. I wasn't wearing skimpy outfits. But my church doesn't believe in drinking or going out to bars, so working in one, whether or not I actually drank, was looked down upon by a lot of people. And praised by a lot of others. Plus I was doing "manly" work. Most of the club patrons assumed I was lesbian. I let them go ahead and think that... less hassle for me!
lau.gif
LOL! I totally understand that last statement! They made us wear cheerleader outfits cause it was an oldies bar. That and we had to do dance skits on the bars in those outfits. Not skimpy I guess compared to some of the outfits cocktail waitresses have to wear but I felt silly in it. I was more at ease as an art model than in that outfit but the clientel are very different. hahaha! I would have done just about any job though if it meant the difference between feeding my kids or not!

Quote:
Psst... those of you who have Aubrey as a Facebook friend... check out her profile.
lol.png
Shhhhh. I was hoping she could get to a computer (her phone doesn't like BYC) and post herself.
hide.gif
I love seeing them. We have not lost a chicken to one in over 3 years. I even know a couple by their looks. One is a smaller, young female that has nice spotting. This older guy I chased off last night has really long legs, 3/4s of a tail and has no spotting. They do get a little too bold at times though. One summer we were on our deck BBQing and I look down into the pasture and here comes this half grown Bobcat, nose in the air, heading right for the house! Now that is just too cozy! I wasn't about to share my dinner with her! We had to shoe that one off
roll.png

The egg that the broody abandoned, that went in the incubator, hatched this morning!
ya.gif
I am waiting for it to fluff up and get more stable on its feet before I give it to the broody. Its brothers and sisters have a head start and I want to be sure it is strong enough to keep up. A blue laced red to black laced red mating is supposed to produce 50% black laced red and 50% blue laced red, but all the chicks from my birds are blue! Which is great! Of the two I hatched from shipped eggs (the parent birds were all blue laced reds) I got one black laced red (sure that is a pullet) and a blue laced red (sure that is a rooster.) They look to be really nice quality chicks, especially the black laced red pullet who is my favorite of all the chicks
smile.png
Congrats! I agree the bobcats are beautiful and fun to watch. Very unusual for them to approach people though!

smile.png
Did you see what I posted earlier on her status?
I was just joking around and ended up scaring Markie just enough!!

You guys really did a number on my Markie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocked and amazed and so filled with love right now. for our fifth anniversary Markie got down on one knee in the 8iddle of venice beach and asked me to marry him. I cant wait to show you guys the ring, its adorable and I am still recouping, lol. Ill get back to yall tomorrow!!!
love.gif

You guys really did a number on my Markie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocked and amazed and so filled with love right now. for our fifth anniversary Markie got down on one knee in the 8iddle of venice beach and asked me to marry him. I cant wait to show you guys the ring, its adorable and I am still recouping, lol. Ill get back to yall tomorrow!!!
love.gif

wee.gif
ya.gif
hugs.gif
th.gif
celebrate.gif
highfive.gif
yesss.gif

I picked chicharo up from the vet this afternoon. His dental cleaning went well. He didn't need any extractions and had no major problems. the cleaning should help improve the health of his gums and he's in good shape in that respect for being 13 yrs old. He was happy to get back home. In talking to the vet, she didn't think that his gums and teeth looked so bad that it would be causing him lots of pain eating. However, she did give him some pain medicine to take for a few days and see if it helps him eat better. She wants to see him in a few weeks to check his weight. she is concerned that something else may be going on, such as a tumor. His calcium was normal but on the high side of normal and sometimes that can be related to a tumor. So, we'll see how things go.

and on another note, my kids had their preschool graduation tonight. Fun milestone to celebrate. We all had a nice time.

hide.gif
roll.png

ya.gif
smile.png
congrats on your amazing survivor chick. I would love to see a bobcat myself at a safe distance.

love.gif
congrats! so happy for you both!

Quote:

love.gif
Awe Aubrey! I have tears of joy for you both. You certainly have shared how much you love each other! I know this will be everlasting with passionate kisses forever!

wee.gif
Congratulations Aubrey! Way to go Mark!

Well, the broody fairy decided to stop by my place lately. My duck Sierra has been sitting on 2 eggs now for over a week. Then 2 days ago Sylvia decided it was time for her to sit on eggs but she doesn't have any to sit on and yesterday it was Monique's turn to sit inside the coop and wait for eggs to be laid so she can sit on them. Sierra is really good too, she is my duckzilla! She hisses and strikes if you try to touch her or the eggs. Sylvia became henzilla yesterday. Monique just pecks at you when you check for eggs.

love.gif
Read this last night and it made me smile and cry all at once. I'm so happy for both of you. I hope you are very happy together for a long long long time.

Back
Top Bottom