Nevadans?

Seth the frostbite usually comes from moisture, not dry air. Copping up the birds will cause more moisture to build up in the coop. I've never had a bird with frostbite and they've been through a few winters now. Best to let them enjoy the sun!

Also it may seem chilly out tO us but honestly Reno doesn't really get cold enough to bother the birds very often. I usually just keep mine cooped during blizzards and frozen rain

I agree with Aubrey - it generally doesn't get cold enough here to cause problems. Also, a chicken's normal body temperature is about 108°F and they are covered in feathers (think down jacket!) so they can withstand much colder tempearatures than we can. Just leave your coop door open so they can go in if they want to get out of the wind or rain, snow, etc.

In the day it is around freezing here couldn't my girls with bigger combs have thier combs freeze?

No rabbit babies. She's a day past due. I'm going to watch her tomorrow, and if nothing is new, I'm going to put her in with the buck again.

I'm not sure Missy, but I thought, in rabbits, you were supposed to take him to her. Seth?

If the weather is only freezing, I wouldn't worry about their combs. Freezing is nothing. Below 0 is bad, and a lot of trapped humidity in the coop is bad. I've heard that you mostly need to worry about frostbite if you have bad ventilation. On clear days like today, I open the coop door wide to let some new air in. It also encourages the chickens to scratch more (I add new straw to get even more scratching) and toss on some DE to get everything dry and clear. I've also heard that you can apply Vaseline on the large combs, but you pretty much have to do this daily.

I had no problem last year with frostbite, even on Original's large comb. And they were in a much colder and draftier coop than they are in now.

We're having some internet issues right now. I'm surfing a friend's line right now. So if you need to get hold of me and have my number, call or text.
I really need a good breeder! I'm a looooong ways away from Vegas. Any ideas?
A good breeder for what?

I really need a good breeder! I'm a looooong ways away from Vegas. Any ideas?
frow.gif
eggxelent and
welcome-byc.gif
NV thread! Most of the folks on this thread are a long way from Vegas, too.
wink.png
Though we do have several Vegas folks that check in here from time to time. There is a sister thread for the Vegas folks too. Where are you at?

you need to be active in thier breeding she doesnt' need to be with him all day you might have to hold up her tail and set him on top of her to make it effective
hide.gif

I put her back in with him yesterday, and he fell off a few times. I'm watching closer this time, and learning a lot. It's so surprising how much you forget when it was your parents that did it.

Thanks everyone for responses ASAP. I am interested in Welsummers and I'm near Carson City. Also, know of any Wellie breeders that ship? Because that would be good too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom