Nevadans?

Hi, I'm out in cold springs, just north of Reno. I thought I would pop in and say hi.
big_smile.png

Here's a photo of my girl
So pretty! Sorry for your loss. How is chicharo doing?

The dogs got our big chickens. :( We only have one black barred rock left, out of five!

The run now has to be completely recovered with smaller wire, the chickens were actually getting themselves out to be eaten.

I am heartbroken, and so angry at the dogs!!!!!
Oh, that's awful! But you shouldn't be mad at the dogs - they were just being what they naturally are - predators! Out where I'm at there are predators everywhere - above gorund, ground level, and below ground, of varying sizes and strengths. So my run is a fortress. So far
fl.gif
I have not had a breach. Here's some pics of it:

Kind of hard to see but there are multiple layers of wire of different sizes. They extend down into the ground 1 foot (snakes, coons, etc). The top is covered too (eagles and hawks). The larger gauge heavy wire is to keep out coyotes and stray dogs. Nothing is getting in or out!

Elizabeth and DarlingMommy, so sorry about the chicken losses! I'm thankful my dogs are so awesome with my animals, and I know this isn't that normal! They're dogs! It really did take a lot of work for ours to be fine with them, and we actually had to start introductions with full-grown bossy hens and work our way down to the chicks before we could trust them with everything we raise. And they're mutts with lots of sheep-herding blood, so they don't have a lot of prey drive. I dogsat a couple of schnauzers for awhile, before my flock expanded to fill my yard. The mini-schnauzer showed me every single weakness in my coop. That dog was such a jerk! When my flock got so big that they just free-range with the dogs, I had to tell my friend that I just couldn't watch her schnauzers anymore. And as far as unexplained natural deaths... that's how I lost Fried Rice. I know Shawarma was egg-bound, but have no idea why Fried Rice wasted away without us even knowing, up to the point that we culled her out of mercy.

hugs.gif

Last edited:
The dogs got our big chickens. :( We only have one black barred rock left, out of five!

The run now has to be completely recovered with smaller wire, the chickens were actually getting themselves out to be eaten.

I am heartbroken, and so angry at the dogs!!!!!
so sorry about your chickens. that really stinks. good luck on your run fortification.
Hi, I'm out in cold springs, just north of Reno. I thought I would pop in and say hi.
big_smile.png
hello!
frow.gif

So pretty! Sorry for your loss. How is chicharo doing?
thanks, ron. Chicharo is still clogged in his sinuses. He doesn't seem to be responding to the antibiotics this time. i've been running the humidifier by where he sleeps hoping that would help.
Elizabeth and DarlingMommy, so sorry about the chicken losses! I'm thankful my dogs are so awesome with my animals, and I know this isn't that normal! They're dogs! It really did take a lot of work for ours to be fine with them, and we actually had to start introductions with full-grown bossy hens and work our way down to the chicks before we could trust them with everything we raise. And they're mutts with lots of sheep-herding blood, so they don't have a lot of prey drive. I dogsat a couple of schnauzers for awhile, before my flock expanded to fill my yard. The mini-schnauzer showed me every single weakness in my coop. That dog was such a jerk! When my flock got so big that they just free-range with the dogs, I had to tell my friend that I just couldn't watch her schnauzers anymore. And as far as unexplained natural deaths... that's how I lost Fried Rice. I know Shawarma was egg-bound, but have no idea why Fried Rice wasted away without us even knowing, up to the point that we culled her out of mercy.

hugs.gif
thanks, missy. you have been lucky that your dogs were trainable with the chickens. raising chickens is not for the faint-hearted, that's for sure. seems like there are lots of things that can go wrong with them.

Here's a photo of my girl.
Awww, she looks like my wheaten girls. So sad.
The dogs got our big chickens. :( We only have one black barred rock left, out of five! The run now has to be completely recovered with smaller wire, the chickens were actually getting themselves out to be eaten. I am heartbroken, and so angry at the dogs!!!!!
Oh no!!! So sorry. I had that happen once. So heartbreaking! :(
Hi, I'm out in cold springs, just north of Reno. I thought I would pop in and say hi. :D
Hi Gemoriah! Welcome to the Nevada thread. (Insert waving smilie here)

Lacy you realize your whaeton is actually a splash wheaton....
And is one bigger than the other?
If the blue wheaten came from Missy then he is a brother to your girls so you should not use him for your hens. Father to daughter or Mother to son is ok but not sibling x sibling.

It looks like maybe the red and white rooster is a buff x wheaten.

If the blue wheaten came from Missy then he is a brother to your girls so you should not use him for your hens. Father to daughter or Mother to son is ok but not sibling x sibling.

It looks like maybe the red and white rooster is a buff x wheaten.

Yep, per chickee they're blue wheaten and buff x wheaten. I have a buff x wheaten girl here who is a nice mellow color with little variation. The roosters are so much prettier.

Back
Top Bottom