Nevadans?

Not to be really picky or anything like that but there is an "oh so slight" difference between laceynoelle and I. I am Lacy (no "e) Blues. I'm pretty sure Tyler was talking to laceynoelle though. Thanks anyway Ron.
big_smile.png
Ha! I ALMOST pointed that out, but I let it go. I've been dealing with it my entire life, everyone spells it "Lacy."

Missy, he is so sweet, I love him to death!!! He is one of my keepers. I wanted to breed him to my cinnamon Queens just to see what the outcome is. I'm keeping two from you and two from Elizabeth. A big black Americauna and the Blue Wheaten from your batch, and Headcase and a Lavender from Elizabeth. The Black is the dominate rooster in the pen, and the Blue Wheaten and Headcase just mingle. The Lavender is an escape artist, so for the time being he's 'dominate' over the three hens who run loose. I'm hoping the boys get along together once they're all together, because the Lavender fights off dogs and cats, so he's a huge help, but the Black one is always the first to see the Owl and make the 'hawk' call.
I still have three more roosters, but I dont cull them all at once, usually in twos or threes when we need chicken meat. Their times are coming up, but for the time being they're still out running. It's fine with me for now because I'm not incubating any eggs until I get a new heating unit for my incubator. ;) I'm still debating whether or not to get rid of that Wheaten hen you gave me with the curly toes. She is so sweet, but Im worried about her passing on bad traits. I'm culling the rooster with the curly toes unless Seth wants him, so he wont be breeding, but I'm on the fence about her.
Does anyone have any input about that? How prevalent is the issue if I've got one hen with curly toes in a large flock? Is it something to be worried about? I figured if any chicks had the problem I'd set them aside for eating and not get attached. The problem with this girl is I grew attached to her, so even if I did get rid of her, I'd probably end up putting her on craigslist rather than culling her.

Whew! I feel like that was a crazy long post! I havent done that in a while.

Eeehhhww. That makes more sense. Yes! That's my baby!! A 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with a 3800 supercharged series II engine. I love that thing. You remember about my car obsession, right Ron?
I want one!! That lady was funny, "Ahhh, I love her!!" It could be one of us.
Yes, I remembered about your car obsession! Very nice ride!

Not to be really picky or anything like that but there is an "oh so slight" difference between laceynoelle and I. I am Lacy (no "e) Blues. I'm pretty sure Tyler was talking to laceynoelle though. Thanks anyway Ron.
big_smile.png
Oops, sorry about that!
hide.gif

I'm still debating whether or not to get rid of that Wheaten hen you gave me with the curly toes. She is so sweet, but Im worried about her passing on bad traits. I'm culling the rooster with the curly toes unless Seth wants him, so he wont be breeding, but I'm on the fence about her.

If you decide you don't want her, I'd be willing to take her back from you. My flock isn't aggressive, other than Taco's obsession with plucking out Schnitzel's 'fro. I only have two ameraucanas, and Jerk is currently baking up some duckling eggs for me.

Ha! I ALMOST pointed that out, but I let it go. I've been dealing with it my entire life, everyone spells it "Lacy."

Missy, he is so sweet, I love him to death!!! He is one of my keepers. I wanted to breed him to my cinnamon Queens just to see what the outcome is. I'm keeping two from you and two from Elizabeth. A big black Americauna and the Blue Wheaten from your batch, and Headcase and a Lavender from Elizabeth. The Black is the dominate rooster in the pen, and the Blue Wheaten and Headcase just mingle. The Lavender is an escape artist, so for the time being he's 'dominate' over the three hens who run loose. I'm hoping the boys get along together once they're all together, because the Lavender fights off dogs and cats, so he's a huge help, but the Black one is always the first to see the Owl and make the 'hawk' call.
I still have three more roosters, but I dont cull them all at once, usually in twos or threes when we need chicken meat. Their times are coming up, but for the time being they're still out running. It's fine with me for now because I'm not incubating any eggs until I get a new heating unit for my incubator. ;) I'm still debating whether or not to get rid of that Wheaten hen you gave me with the curly toes. She is so sweet, but Im worried about her passing on bad traits. I'm culling the rooster with the curly toes unless Seth wants him, so he wont be breeding, but I'm on the fence about her.
Does anyone have any input about that? How prevalent is the issue if I've got one hen with curly toes in a large flock? Is it something to be worried about? I figured if any chicks had the problem I'd set them aside for eating and not get attached. The problem with this girl is I grew attached to her, so even if I did get rid of her, I'd probably end up putting her on craigslist rather than culling her.

Whew! I feel like that was a crazy long post! I havent done that in a while.

Curly toes may not be hereditary. Sometimes, if there is a problem with humidity during incubation, their toes can get curled. Try them out and see. When I first got my Andalusians, one of them had badly curled toes on one foot. A judge suggested I breed her to find out if she passes it on. She didn't. Seth could breed the other one too... just to find out.

Hello NV chicken peeps! Haven't been on here in awhile again. My sister has been visiting this week. She loves to spend time with the kids and the chickens.

We just had a chicken death here. Our first natural causes death in a grown hen--my wheaten ameraucana
sad.png
. The kids just found her belly up in the run. (They came running into the house yelling, "Dead chicken! Dead chicken!" Not sure what happened and I can't tell from looking at her. She was a pretty girl. Sorry to see her go.

Some of my Beautiful girls!
Very beautiful!
I need more but I've never mail ordered before. I've always been kind of skittish of mail order chicks. Did you have a particular hatchery in mind?
the feed store chicks are the same as mail order chicks really--you just don't have to pick them up at the post office. But if you don't want to fill an order, then feed store is probably easier.
It's been FOREVER, but I am ready to rejoin y'all! I had given my flock to a girlfriend last summer when work got a bit overwhelming, but things have changed for the better and now I'm on the (much happier) path to good old suburban homesteading (also considering homeschooling ...but that's another beast entirely)!

Goals at the present: refill the coop with a half dozen chooks, invest in a meat rabbit trio, and cobble together a mini hoop house for the backyard. We're only on a third of an acre, but I'm determined to utilize every square foot of it!

So, everyone...if you've got any hatching eggs/chicks or bunnies that you are looking to part with in the Reno area, send me a PM
smile.png
. Otherwise, I will chat with you all soon. I've got lots of reading to do to catch up!
sounds like you're getting your suburban farm all set up! good luck to you.
Oh wow!! When you guys get ready to sell more, I'll buy some.

Seth, I actually think theyre about the same size, but I'll check. I'll take pictures soon too, if not tomorrow, then Thursday.

Boo, I'm crazy tired. Typed a huge six page essay analyzing East of Eden (Has anyone read this???!) then found out it wasnt even due.

By the way, Kennel cough is going around!! Axle has a case of it, the vet thinks he picked it up from the dog park last week. If you don;t know the symptoms, it;s just weezing and coughing, and vomiting up white foam, but I guess it can turn into a bacterial infection if gone untreated. So if you guys take your dogs out, watch for Kennel Cough.

Well, that's it for me, Night guys!
hope your dog recovers quickly!
I wanted to let you all know that (Peep_Show) Dee's Mom has passed away. You regulars know that this was not unexpected but these things are always hard on a person, no matter what. She wanted us to know that she will not be on here for awhile since she's facing a lot of work right now on top of dealing with the loss of her Mother. I hope we can all honor her request to avoid communication for awhile. I know you all care for her and want to convey your sympathies but right now she is not up to chatting. I completely understand since this is exactly how I felt when my Mother died. She will check in when she feels up to it. Thanks all!
So sorry for Dee's loss.
hugs.gif
We love you Dee!

Missy, any news on the potatoes yet? I'm going to start my garden next week with the hardy stuff. Swiss chard, carrot, onions, radishes and lettuce. This is really going to be a challenge for me because John is gone weeks at a time now driving so he can't till the garden for me. I get to try to do it this time, let's hope my health can hold up to it.

I've been on and off lately just hadn't posted anything much lately with so much to do around here since John left and working too.
Hope you have enough energy to get your garden going. Don't overwork yourself!

The dogs got our big chickens. :( We only have one black barred rock left, out of five!

The run now has to be completely recovered with smaller wire, the chickens were actually getting themselves out to be eaten.

I am heartbroken, and so angry at the dogs!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom