Nevadans?

Also, I was wondering, when should I start feeding Layer? When I see the first egg? 5 months?
hu.gif
Yes. Layer has extra calcium in it and you don't want to feed that to non-layers or they will have health issues. Even after mine are laying and I've switched to layer feed I still provide oyster shell free choice for supplemental calcium. It makes a difference in the eggs, and it's very cheap!

Elizabeth, sorry to hear about your australorp!

eggxelent, I wouldn't feed it to them until they start laying. The laying feed has extra calcium, which they really don't need until they're making eggshells regularly.

Seth and Tyler, I plan to be there. I'm not sure exactly when, since we still don't have a vehicle.

Kim,
droolin.gif
. That's about all I have to say there.

DarlingMommy, I've often seen those breeds on Craigslist. I know Green's Feed is getting chicks in for another month, and you could call and see what they have. They're not laying hens, but you'd probably get the breeds you want.

Elizabeth, sorry to hear about your australorp! eggxelent, I wouldn't feed it to them until they start laying. The laying feed has extra calcium, which they really don't need until they're making eggshells regularly. Seth and Tyler, I plan to be there. I'm not sure exactly when, since we still don't have a vehicle. Kim,
droolin.gif
. That's about all I have to say there. DarlingMommy, I've often seen those breeds on Craigslist. I know Green's Feed is getting chicks in for another month, and you could call and see what they have. They're not laying hens, but you'd probably get the breeds you want.
Can't wait to finally meet you

Elizabeth so sorry about your hen. :(
Just popping in. Almost done packing!! Leaving Saturday afternoon! Can't wait.
Trying to be happy for you! I sure hope you do check in and don't forget us!
. I have 28 layers, and I get about 12 eggs a day... 5 of them from my 5 laying ducks! So that's 7 eggs a day, from 23 chickens. Those girls are slacking!
Got a few extra duck eggs for eating? :)
Geeze missy dont i know it! I think a lot of my girls are getting up there in age now, i know i have a couple of four year olds.. Im getting 4-7 eggs per 27 laying hens. Not to mention every showgirl and frizzled cochin i have is broody!
Ouch! Typical for those breeds.
You northerners seem to have all the luck with rabbits! I've been trying to find a breeding pair of meat rabbits for the past year... they're really hard to find in the Vegas area!
Yep they are plentiful here, come on up. :)
Also, I was wondering, when should I start feeding Layer? When I see the first egg? 5 months? :confused:
I'd wait til they are all laying. As Ron said, the extra calcium can be too much for non-layers. In fact I never give layer feed to my flock. I give them all 22% game bird crumbles and just leave oyster shell out.
Over the years we have had several australorp and x's that have bled to death after laying a triple yolker or even one of their regularly huge eggs! And those are the gurls whose eggs have blood spots (I thought they were speckled at first) their whole lives... We figured it was because the regularly pump out such honkin eggs? Is there another theory? Flowers
I've never had Astralorps but it makes sense. We humans cause a lot of problems with our selective breeding.
Attention Northern Nevadans; I am desperately seeking HENS (not pullets) either Jersey Giants or RIR. I wouldn't mind taking a rooster of either breed (or Araucana/Americana) off your hands as well. Anyone willing to part or trade for them? Let me know price and availability! If not I'll have to do a late season hatching project, but I suppose there are worse things than hand raising baby chicks.
love.gif
I am in South Reno for work/live in Lemmon Valley. THANKS!
The only layers I would have to spare are 2 EEs I have that aren't laying a nice colored egg. 1 lays a grey green egg and the other lays a light brown egg. They are about a year old and lay regularly though. Other than these gals all I have are chicks. :)
Can't wait to finally meet you
Geez I wish I could make it just to say goodbye.

Got a few extra duck eggs for eating?
smile.png

That's one thing I do have plenty of. I used to tuck them into cartons of standard eggs I sold, and not charge any extra, but then I decided people were getting too good of a deal when they really couldn't care less if they had chicken or duck. So now I tuck some in if they want to pay me a little extra. Otherwise, I just save them for us. Deviled duck eggs are even better than deviled chicken eggs, especially with the zucchini relish I made last year.

Haven't been on here in forever but just a news update... We got our six chicks from my pet chicken two weeks ago. They are all alive, healthy, and happy to be wherever the food is. Here are some pics... We got two white silkies, one Easter eager, on speckled Sussex, one barred rock, and one Australorp. Here they are:
[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom