Nevadans?

Sorry I missed this post when you first posted Sunny.

As Sunny knows I am in NV - north of Reno off of Red Rock Road. DH and I have geese, ducks and chickens; horses, dogs and parrots.
wee.gif

I also am surprised that there are not more of us in the Reno area. Course maybe they are hiding from me also - they know I am a Washingtonian trasplanted here in early spring 2005.
hu.gif

Quote:
It shouldn't be too bad at that elevation, but you never know. It sure is pretty up there though.

I am glad that I posted in this site, got it bumped up so that you two could find each other. Now if only some Vegas people would post...

lol.... i think i'm out here all alone... well... i've got you part time.. lol....

what day did you guys end up setting those eggs???
i think i set some shipped silky eggs friday around noon... i want to be able to see something already.. lol... yes, i tried... just for giggles... can't see diddly on day 2.. lol..

I set the eggs on Friday. I set up the incubator with fan and humidity "control" with the eggs most likely to hatch and placed the remaining 7 in the Lil Giant. Well, the temps were stable, but I was wondering about the humidity in the Lil Giant so I went to Walmart and bought a hygrometer. The Lil Giant was perfect, but the other was at 70%
sad.png
!!!

So I spent the next couple of hours trying to get the water out without wreaking havoc on the eggs. I am hoping that since it was in the first 2 days it won't have so great an impact. What do eggs do in Louisiana? I just hope they are more resiliant than people on this forum make them out to be.

The egg turner works but it isn't perfect. They bang into each other and sometimes the small end ends up pointing up. They settle back into place and it turns them every hour, so I am guessing that a little off keel isn't a big deal. I will know how all is working out in a few days. I will candle them and consolidate the eggs that seem to be working out and the rest will be scrambled, egg shells and all into a feast for the other chickens.

The biggest problem is that even though I know that there is nothing I can do, I keep going over and checking them out!
roll.png
How stupid is that? Isn't there a saying like a watched pot never boils???

Quote:
lol.... i've decided that they definatley aren't as finicky as everyone makes them out to be... granted, my last one might have not made it out due to shrink wrap dry membrane ifi hadn't helped it, but i was there and watching.. and i also opened the incubator like 5 times while they were hatching.. lol... so him dryiing out a bit is understandable...

but out here in the desert we don't know what humidity is... even under a broody i don't think it would get 60% humidity out here so i put in the wet spongs when i went on lockdown and figured fate would take it from there.. i thought about getting something to read the humidity becasue i did the classic it's getting close freak out.. but then decided i'd let it go.. if the hatch was succesful i'd know what to do next time.. and if it wasn't i'd get a guage for the next round.. lol...

these poor eggs i have in the bator now i think got shook all around... only a few of them have definite air cells... a few had definite yolks, but i couldn't see an air cell ?? i figured i'll check again on wed.. that should be day 5... and then i'll check again on friday and see if i see any veins... i'm really hoping ot get a silky roo out of the eggs... if i only get 1 roo i'll be happy... a few girls would be nice.. but....

Quote:
Im glad you did too. I'd given up on this post. Good luck with your search for chicken folks in your area.

Quote:
I am sort of here in Vegas. I live in Yuma AZ, but I am in school to become a PA Physician Assistant. No kidding, I graduate in less than a month. It seems hard to believe, really. Just a few more trips to Vegas.

I have met a number of people on Craigslist that sell chickens. Not crazy about the purchases, but I will keep living.

Evonne gave me, YES, GAVE ME 24 fertile chicken eggs for free!, Non-gratis!

This is my first time with an incubator, so we shall see how it goes. I am keeping records and it is my hope to have a set of Leghorn Americana EE crosses. Can you imagine, green egg laying machines?? That is my dream.

Till I move, good luck Nevadans.

No time right now for a longer post but I'm here (So. NV). I even have extra purebred (various breeds) and mutt chickens, any interest? I just made this quick post to find this thread later.

Have a great day and thank a vet. tomorrow.

Quote:
i could possibly be interested... depending on the breed.. and unfortunatley the $ right now... nov/dec is bad for our family between holidays and birthdays... but we should keep in touch anyway...

Back
Top Bottom