Nevadans?

Hey Kaichai! Here's a late welcome -->
welcome-byc.gif

I dont think overall there are louder/quieter breeds, unless we're talking about those crazy roosters who crow for like 30 seconds. For the most part though, I guess my banties are a little quieter. It probably just depends on the individual. Actually, come to think of it, I never hear my Black Australorps. :hmm Are there breeds of different niose levels guys??

Since you breed Rabbits, could you please please tell me why my buck isnt breeding with the girls? He's about a year old, but I dont remember which breed. I have to find my records. We're following 'Storey's guide to rabbits' exactly, but still cant figure it out.

As for not knowing a whole lot about chickens, chill. You'll learn, and we'll help if you need it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hi kaichai! It's great to have you here! Welcome to the Nevada thread and to BYC!
frow.gif

What kinds of chickens are you starting out with?

Well, right now we have six hens, two are silkie crosses and there are two easter eggers of some sort, a suppsed black austrolorp, and some sort of small mutt. It's been a crazy learning experience, and I apologize for not getting back earlier.

I am renting a house in an HOA here in Reno, and we're not sure if we're allowed to have hens, but we're going with the Reno laws as we can't find the HOA rules anywhere. Which is why we need quieter hens! I think we may have to give up a few, as they're a bit on the louder (and scarier) side of things, but we'll replace those girls with another breed who are quieter. Any suggestions?

If we get caught, we'll give up all our hens, and set up a new coop in the garage for some quieter girls. Either way, we'll still have chickens! It's just a matter of how.

I also breed a rare breed or heritage fur/meat rabbits. I like being self-sufficient, and I want to get Nigerian Dwarf goats, but I think we're pushing it with our flock of chickens. Next house!

I breed American Sables for show. What rare breed do you have?

laceynoelle, is your buck on the chubby side? Often, it's due to the buck being lazy if he won't breed. Or, perhaps your does are pushy? Another big reason is that rabbits feel very lazy in the heat of summer. One way to work around this is to get them at either dawn or dusk as they're crepescular.

gaited horse, I love American Sables! They're so pretty. I am breeding American Chinchillas. It's an interesting endeavour, as the blood lines are so thin due to all the culling in the late forties and early fifties. We're trying to get them back to body type and up to the prefered weight. Eventually, I'd like to get involved with Giant Angoras. Right now I have a pet Satin Angora neutered buck and he's just a sweetie. We spin with this wool.

Quote:
I love the American Chins they are super pretty. Did you know Sables where devolped from Chins (I just can't remember which Chins they came from)? There is a rabbit show out here in Fernley next weekend me and another Sable breeder from CA are doing a breeding trio in the raffle. Please start showing those chins. I would love to see some.

Last edited:
Wow guys, you know a lot!! When I get my own place going, could I come to you and buy some rabbits to get started? And he's not overwieght, so I dont know about that. We breed at about 7/8 at night, but the does, except for two of them, are a bit pushy.

Too bad you missed our N. Nevada BYCers BBQ Lacey! It was great. Here's some pics I took.

58980_dscn1769.jpg

58980_dscn1768.jpg

We've been talking about doing another.

You're from LA Aubrey? Me too, originally. I was born in East LA but I haven't lived down there since 1987. Your enchiladas sound awesome - I can't believe anyone passed them up for restauranyt food!
sickbyc.gif

Man you all sure are chatty! I was wondering why I hadn't seen any new messages, so I checked today and I was 6 pages back! I had to do the Unsubscribe/Subscribe thing - that sure is annoying!
rant.gif

wee.gif
Good news everyone!! New chicks! My girl Yoshi's babies are hatching, shes so happy! I'll post pics in the morning assuming everything keeps going well. (She's a first time mom and it froze last night!
fl.gif
Im so nervous)

Back
Top Bottom