Nevadans?

Great pictures, Sunny!
I, too, hate the cold....but I could watch a chunk of ice submerged in water for hours. (think icebergs, not cocktails....)

2Seth2 - CUTE+++ babies.

BlueEyedDevil - LOL! Yep....chickens are like potato chips. Can't have just one...or one of every color! I think you'll really enjoy the sex-links (my favs are Cinnamon Queens = red roo x slw hen) ...They (sex-links) are hardy and really lay well. With the numbers you're crunching I hope you have a lot of egg recipes! (Angel food cake baking can be a hobby when the fridge space gets scarce....)

That is a good idea. I don't know if I can convince my husband to build two different runs though. Is it ok to keep silkies with bigger hens like rir's?

Mine are all together. I have a VERY mixed flock. BUT... they run around my big backyard instead of a run AND the silkie's topknot is looking a little sparse AND the only RIR we have is the one that picks on her. She just hangs out in her own little areas, though, and when she cuddles at night it's up under the cochin or the brahma, NOT with Taco the RIR.

ok! here they are....as promised my EGGS! See that really dark one (that is my second one)? Ignore the White ones, those are store bought.
D.gif

So what do you guys/gals think?
Again, I have RIR's, BCM, Silver Laced Wyondotte, Blue Laced Red Wyondotte (forgive me if I'm spelling this name wrong), Buff Orpingtons, and a Barred Cochin....TinkerDude is the Black Austrolorp.

Don't get me started on looking for more chickens! Lol. I'm really trying to stay with what I have for now, but they are addicting and so much fun! I don't realize how exciting collecting eggs could be! Lol!
Sunny, those pics are beautiful!!!

Marans. Now if my hen will get some ink going. She's laid 3 so far this year and they're light, but getting a tiny bit darker as they are laid. Not much though. She'll get there though. Now if all the others would start laying. I got a first egg from one of my blue Sumatras yesterday. YAY...I can't get my Black Sumatra hens to be nice to the blues and they even attack the roos, so even if they lay, I can't hatch those out, but I have a Black and a Splash roo in with my blue pullets.

I haven't checked on here in a week and look at all the posts. I've just been busy. This has been another weird winter. last year it was warm and this year cold. my chickens are all doing just fine with the cold. i love my heated water base. it was totally worth it. i have a silly silkie that keeps being broody. my BLRW was broken by the cold last week. she was not going to stay in that nest box by herself!

Update on Mommy and babies anyone???
Well they're almost as big as Dolly already! I believe Gregory peck is the father of all three and silkies/showgirls are the mothers. They're gonna be pretty cute I think!
The rooster has some really cool gold, white, and black barring and I can't wait to see how he looks as a big boy!

such cute little chicks!

Hi there! I just moved to Fernley Nevada. I am still feeling out the laws and rules especially in a rental. There's a lady who has a coop and chickens with run for sale but since I don't know yet whether I'm allowed to have them I haven't jumped on them yet :) I'm newly married and really new to the state. Good to meet you all! ~~Jenn

Welcome!

Nothing new, setting up a brooder out of a cardboard box. Like my new Avie?

cute kitty! I had several black cats when I was growing up. such beautiful fur.

We lost one girl and 2 roos but that was due to Steve thinking everyone was inside when he shut the coop up at night but they weren't. :(. Now he is counting everyone before shutting them up at night.

so sorry you lost some. :(

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I live in Reno and have never had chickens before but just bought my first coop today - well two actually, it came with a free smaller coop. I'm going to look around this site but was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources for me to check out for me to get started.

I'm pretty excited...I love animals and am excited to add chickens to my mini farm, not to mention fresh eggs :)

Ive done a little google research and Ive read that Rhode Island Reds are pretty good for producing, so I'm leaning towards those at the moment (egg production is pretty important, my husband and I can go through 5 dozen a week). I also love silkie bantams because they look super cute and I heard they are affectionate so I'm sure I would get some of those as well. My big coop fits up to 24, and my smaller coop fits 6.

welcome! I also love my black australorps. really dependable and calm birds.

Speaking of chicks, we were thinking that, this year, we'd just wait for one of our hens to show dedication as a broody this spring, then go to Green's Feed and buy about 5 babies of a production variety.  If all the gardening space offers I've received come through, I'll have 6 gardens.  Plus our Tough Mudder training, plus bringing in an actual income.  So next year maybe I'll do a large load of chicks to replenish the laying flock, but not this year.  We want to go on team trail runs every Saturday when it warms up, and will need to amp up the strength training even more.  All last year, every single Saturday was dedicated to gardening or chickens!

i'm thinking I will not get chicks this spring although I would love to get 5-6 to have some good laying in the fall during molt for the rest. But, with the neighbor issue, it's probably best not to try to expand. i would put a pouty face in here but I'm not sure if there is one.

Eggs! I started getting eggs new years eve and have been getting 1 or 2 a day. I'm trying to figure out who lays what! It is so fun! So is it a black copper Maran that would lay a REALLY dark brown egg? And I've already had a double yolker that I was so excited about, not sur who layed that one! I really was not expecting eggs until spring, I'm not using additional light, all my chickens are about 5 months old now.
I have 2 RIR, 2 buff Orpington, 2 blrw

congrats on the eggs! It's so exciting isn't it! I remember my first one last year. My first egg was Feb 1. It's still exciting now to find those eggs in the boxes.

I will be going to Stockton! :weee Taking a Golden Campine Cockerel, Pullet, and a Chamois Pullet! I've gone several times, and I can tell you people who haven't been there before, its so totally fun! The PPBA may well boast that it has the highest sales on the west coast, and it probably does, but in order to sell there you have to be a member of the club. As such, they also have the highest membership on the west coast.

Have fun at the show!

Ok, something went wrong with multi quote so I'll have to see what the rest of the posts were.

Last edited:
Beautiful photos, Sunny! It's been so pretty out there the last two mornings.

gorgeous Marans egg, As shad! My golden cuckoo marans lays a very pretty egg. She's currently on winter break though.
roll.png

I just made a vet appointment for Chicharo (my cat) on Tuesday. He's been wheezing a lot. He sounds all stuffed up and gurgly and it's really bad when he's sleeping. Hopefully it'll be something easy to treat. He's still so skinny too. He'll be 14 on Feb 13th but I'd like to keep him around for some more years. He's a whiny little guy but I love him.

Back
Top Bottom