Nevadans?

Does anyone own ducks? Are they relatively easy to care for?? A friend's coworker got ratted in by a neighbor to her HOA and so she was caught with chickens and ducks. Well, I said I'd take them in. I was going to find homes for the ducks but my sister said NO WAY and wanted me to keep them. So now I'm the proud owner of a pair of Mallards and 2 new hens, another white Leghorn and another Rhode Island Red. I can't remember the names of the hens but the ducks are Donald and Daisy, lol!

Here's a few pics of the new family members!

Very nice you, have Welsh Harlequin's and they are very easy to take care of just like chickens. They do need a little extra though so make sure you have a water so they can dip their heads all the way in. They are messier than chickens but they're fun to have.

wee.gif
The chicks put themselves into the coop tonight without any trouble. I thought for a moment there's that same stubborn one not wanting to go in but in the end it went.

I'm glad their easy to care for! The lady brought them over their "house", which is an extra large dog crate. So i just kept them in there the rest of the day yesterday and over night. This morning I went to give them fresh water in a shallow dish and they were trying so hard to get the water over their heads. I felt bad, so I brought an old rubbermaid tote over and filled it with water. I thought the boy was going to EXPLODE, he was so excited. He jumped right in and dunked himself over and over. It was really cute, he just kept quaking and waging his tail feathers. Then the girl got in and they were swimming in a little circle just splashing around, lol.
Well, I made a sort-of smallish pen and got another tote so that both had their own "pond". I know they need more room but it'll do for now until I can get finished expending my chicken run, then I'll make them a nice pen.
Do you have any recommendations on food? Right now they just have some layer pellets until this weekend.

They'll be fine for now on that food but later on you can buy poultry flock or wild bird food for them. Their feathers will change and they won't be so dramatic unless you feed them the wild bird food though.

Does anyone own ducks? Are they relatively easy to care for?? A friend's coworker got ratted in by a neighbor to her HOA and so she was caught with chickens and ducks. Well, I said I'd take them in. I was going to find homes for the ducks but my sister said NO WAY and wanted me to keep them. So now I'm the proud owner of a pair of Mallards and 2 new hens, another white Leghorn and another Rhode Island Red. I can't remember the names of the hens but the ducks are Donald and Daisy, lol!

Here's a few pics of the new family members!

Congrats on your new family members! I love your ducks, they are so pretty!

Very nice you, have Welsh Harlequin's and they are very easy to take care of just like chickens. They do need a little extra though so make sure you have a water so they can dip their heads all the way in. They are messier than chickens but they're fun to have.

wee.gif
The chicks put themselves into the coop tonight without any trouble. I thought for a moment there's that same stubborn one not wanting to go in but in the end it went.

I just got what you were saying, and yes I do have Welsh Harlequins, LOL! The lady told me they were Mallards, but then after what you said kept bouncing around in my head until I finally Googled it and you're right! Welsh Harlequin sounds much more fancy and pretty than just plain ole Mallard, too :-D

Glad the babies finally got the hang of it!

Back
Top Bottom