Nevadans?

Let's hope you come here. I can only speak by experience here. The old Northwest does not have rules against chickens and roosters, it's where I live, and I can say most of Reno do not have issues with chickens but there are small areas to avoid. The only issues anyone seems to have is the noise issue of the birds. I'm lucky to have neighbors who love my rooster so I'm good.

I live in Palomino valley (North of Reno) on 40 acres. SO of course, depends on what kind of acreage you want. :) I have some friends who live downtown area, and they have hens, no roosters. I think that most places in town don't allow roosters, but then depends on your neighbors I suppose.

Northwest sounds like a good place, I have friends there and it's nice, but they only have a dog, and indoor cat, no chickens. :) If I had known sooner about having chickens in town, I would have started my flock with a few in town!

Thats very nice of you to say. I need to find work first before I move, so thats next on the list. Well I have eggs in the bator that I need to hatch out first. Then the job. I dont have a rooster right now because they are not allowed in Vegas (or most of the city) but I would like to have a pen of dorkings with a rooster so that would be great if I could have one.
wee.gif

We're between Welington and Hwy 395, off of Hwy 208 to the south. No problem with any sort of chicken here, from what I can tell. They're a lot quieter than the stud horses and Jacks and no one seems to object to lustful Desert Canary calls, either.

(Desert or Mountain Canary == Burro, because they sing so sweetly.)

Hi Nevadans. How are your chickens faring during this winter? I'm in Fernley and so far my girlies are doing just fine this winter. Their coop is within a large covered enclosure so they are dry and as warm as they can be. Eggs are still good. I get 5-6 a day which means my 6 girls are laying an egg a day. Any suggestions on keeping them from roosting on their coop roof instead of going in their house? They just started doing this. I have to go out and make them go inside their house.

Chickens are doing great in this cold weather so far. I'm not getting any eggs but that's okay. The only way I know of to make them roost again is to lock them into their coop until they get used to going inside it again. It can take several days for it to work.

Hi, I ran across your thread on the laws regulating noisy animals in Washoe County. I know the last post is several months old but wanted to weigh in on the issue. I don't have chickens. I have two dogs and two birds and a neighbor who has decided that she will complain if she ever hears any animal from her house. My dog's aren't nuisance barkers and my birds (and African Grey and a Cockatiel) only whistle. I started getting letters from Animal Control 2 years ago, right after this neighbor moved in and in a period of 2 years I got 4 letters. I started locking the dogs in our bedroom at night and closing the windows so she wouldn't hear the birds, and if the dogs barked for more than a minute or two I brought them in.

Well, a few months a go I got a notice of civil penalty, a fine for $100, and Animal Control doesn't even come out and verify the complaint. The complainant asks for you to get a civil penalty, so you get one. I asked for a hearing and the hearing officer, a disability attorney didn't even know what excessive noise meant, she just said "frequent and loud" (that's the language from the ordinance). I brought two neighbor witnesses and three letters from other neighbors stating that in the 14 years I have lived here I have never had an animal that disturbed them.

She brought two family members and two witnesses who live a half mile away. When the hearing officer asked me to prove my dogs did not make noise I knew it was a lost cause. I lost the case and as I was leaving Animal Control said she filed a second civil penalty, this one with a $200 fine. I have a hearing set for that in January but I honestly do not know what to do. I have never in my life been through anything like this. I just installed an audio/video surveillance system to 'prove' my animals don't make noise..so much for being innocent until you are proven guilty huh?

Only reason I'm posting this is because if you have a neighbor who wants to make your life completely miserable this law gives them all the freedom in the world to do it. She is free to file a new civil penalty against me every day if she wants and after she files 4 I will be prosecuted for a misdemeanor in justice court..isn't that special? So..be really careful or you might end up in my shoes one of these days.

Hi, I ran across your thread on the laws regulating noisy animals in Washoe County. I know the last post is several months old but wanted to weigh in on the issue. I don't have chickens. I have two dogs and two birds and a neighbor who has decided that she has the right to never hear an animal. My dog's aren't nuisance barkers and my birds (and African Grey and a Cockatiel) only whistle. I started getting letters from Animal Control 2 years ago, right after this neighbor moved in and in a period of 2 years I got 4 letters. I started locking the dogs in our bedroom at night and closing the windows so she wouldn't hear the birds, and if the dogs barked for more than a minute or two I brought them in.

Well, a few months a go I got a notice of civil penalty, a fine for $100, and Animal Control doesn't even come out and determine if there is any noise. The complainant asks for you to get a civil penalty, so you get one. I asked for a hearing and the hearing officer, a disability attorney didn't even know what nuisance barking meant, she just said "frequent and loud" (that's the language from the ordinance). I brought two neighbor witnesses and three letters from other neighbors stating that in the 14 years I have lived here I have neither my dogs or my birds have ever bothered them.

She brought two family members and two witnesses who live a half mile away. When the hearing officer asked me to prove my dogs did not make noise I knew it was a lost cause. I lost the case and as I was leaving Animal Control said she filed a second civil penalty, this one with a $200 fine. I have a hearing set for that in January but I honestly do not know what to do. I have never in my life been through anything like this.

Only reason I'm posting this is because if you have a neighbor who wants to make your life completely miserable this law gives them all the freedom in the world to do it. She is free to file a new civil penalty against me every day if she wants and after she files 4 I will be prosecuted for a misdemeanor in justice court..isn't that special?

Back
Top Bottom