Nevadans?

Thank you Barb for all of your suggestions, I will make note of them all.

Question regarding the pasty butt... some of the chicks do have poops stuck to their butt - is this pasty butt? Should I grind their feed then? I have a vitamix... ? Should I clean their little bottoms?

We have been giving them fresh water each morning and evening regardless of how much remains in the container.

We've mixed grit with the food, but maybe we haven't mixed the correct ratio? EEp!

Hi Inhiskeep,

You definitely need to keep your chicks backsides clean. The inability to properly relieve themselves can kill a small chick very quickly! I usually put a tiny little bit of Apple cider vinegar in their water and that seems to keep them from getting pasty. Also you can just soak the chick feed in hot water until you get an oatmeal type consistency. They really like that and it helps keep them hydrated and stuff. Although I do recommend one of the little trough feeders (2.99 at Cal Ranch) if you soak the feed because otherwise they tend to wear it. LOL

I am reading as much as I can on BYC - I am scared to death that I'm going to do it wrong and I so want my little girls to be comfortable, healthy and to be successful friends and layers. I am hoping to connect with folks in my area so that I can hear about their experiences as related to our specific area, climate, etc...
HI there "neighbor" we're a home schooling family in Sparks. My son turns 17 this week and my daughter is almost 14.
Your post really hit home as it sounded JUST like me a couple weeks ago. We got four chicks 4 weeks ago at the same place you did then two weekends ago got suckered into two more when we made a trip to Greens Feed in Reno. They're in a 55? gallon rubbermaid container in our bonus room off the kitchen but the four big girls are getting a tad too big for it now. I'm afraid it's still a bit nippy out for them to be "big girls" outside so I think I'm going to add another brooder and separate them. After some trial and error and also spending all my time on BYC we ended up using sand and sweet pdz in their brooder, I LOVE how easy it is to scoop up the poopies several times a day BUT....it's sooooooo dusty!!! If it's sunny out we've been putting the four big girls outside in a dog pen so they can practice being "real chickens" hee hee. Then it gives me a chance to do a deeper clean with only two itty bitty chicks in the brooder. We're giving two of our our older girls to a friend as I don't know what I was thinking getting 6 in the beginning.

We also have two ferrets and two weiner dogs, one of which wants to EAT the chickens. She reminds my hubby and I of that weasel on the Looney Tunes cartoon that is always trying to get the chickens. She gets that glazed look in her eye, shakes and salivates. On the other hand our other weiner dog LOVES the chicks and we've found her IN their brooder with them several times.
This weekend we bought a little tykes playhouse from craigslist an are going to turn it into their coop. I'm inspired by all the creative people here and can't wait to get the girls in it.

It's nice to "meet" you and I look forward to hearing about your chicken raising adventures.

Kristen

Hi Eggxelent!

Yay! :D We're in the Ranchos - you? So nice to meet someone in our area! :D What kind of chicks do you have?

We had a casualty just this morning. Not sure what happened exactly, but I am guessing that she was smooshed by the other chicks because she was very flat.
hit.gif
So we took the chicks out of the rubbermaid tub and let them be in the big box (about 4x4 feet). They seem to be comfortable, happy and doing fine. I also installed a wooden dowel about 3" off the floor just in case they decide to try their roosting techniques
wink.png
We got our chicks for CAL Ranch in Carson as they had the largest variety. The girls' wings are coming in nicely and there are tiny tail feathers making an appearance as well. Can't believe how fast they grow!!!

I'm near foothill.
So sorry about the chick. So sad.
hit.gif

I have three grown hens, one Golden Sex Link and two Easter Eggers, one of which escapes...and escapes...and escapes. I swear, she must spend her whole day finding flaws in the fence for us to fix! I'm not familiar with CAL ranch, can you give me a link to their website if they have one, or PM me with their address, or something?

I have never heard of "Easter Eggers" - what are those? Did you name the one that escapes Houdini? LOL!

Cal Ranch is where the old Safeway used to be near Hot Springs Road. Their website is www.calranch.com They're a fun store :)

The rest of the chicks are doing well, but I'm super paranoid that I'm going to check on them and somebody's going to be dead :p

If it's sunny out we've been putting the four big girls outside in a dog pen so they can practice being "real chickens" hee hee. Then it gives me a chance to do a deeper clean with only two itty bitty chicks in the brooder. We're giving two of our our older girls to a friend as I don't know what I was thinking getting 6 in the beginning.

We also have two ferrets and two weiner dogs, one of which wants to EAT the chickens. She reminds my hubby and I of that weasel on the Looney Tunes cartoon that is always trying to get the chickens. She gets that glazed look in her eye, shakes and salivates. On the other hand our other weiner dog LOVES the chicks and we've found her IN their brooder with them several times.
This weekend we bought a little tykes playhouse from craigslist an are going to turn it into their coop. I'm inspired by all the creative people here and can't wait to get the girls in it.

It's nice to "meet" you and I look forward to hearing about your chicken raising adventures.

Kristen

After some trial and error and also spending all my time on BYC we ended up using sand and sweet pdz in their brooder, I LOVE how easy it is to scoop up the poopies several times a day BUT....it's sooooooo dusty!!!

I read about using sand as well! We bought a small block of shavings that we're using, and it really expanded when we opened it, so I think we'll be using it for a while! But we intend on using sand in the coop and the run - I've heard LOTS of good things about it!

Ferrets! Awesome! We have an older dog (almost 13) and I believe we've decided that instead of getting another dog when she's gone, we're going to get ferrets (they're like cats and dogs all rolled into one!). We haven't introduced her to the chicks yet - how old were your dogs when you introduced them?

That's great! I love to see the creative ways people make their coops!!! The existing coop on our property isn't the greatest, in my opinion, but it will do for now. My landlord put it right next to the back porch... where we bbq and eat outside - eew! Not sure what he was thinking when he chose that spot. I would prefer to see the coop and run down by our back fence. I guess I will work on that at a later date!

Nice to meet you too :D !!!

@inhiskeep Our doxies are 5 & 6 and we introduced them to the chicks the day we brought them home from the feed store. I wasn't surprised our one doxie wanted to befriend them, she's that same dog that found a baby bird that had fallen from it's nest and brought it in the house and gently placed it in her bed. And not surprised that the other doxie becomes a crazed hunting fiend and wants to eat them as she's also that way around our ferrets however the other one plays with the ferrets every day.

I think you'd LOVE having ferrets! They're the most crazy, energetic & friendly little critters. They'll keep you entertained then they get tired and collapse, they're a lot like babies in that sense, they nap frequently but when they're awake they love to play. I suggest getting two as they're very social animals and seem lonely if they're an 'only child' My daughter brings ours everywhere in a little portable dog carrier and she most recently found a ferret proof dog stroller on craigslist. You should see the looks we get at Home Depot when she walks in with a ferret in her arms! Below is a pic of one our ours being as cute as ever!

I have never heard of "Easter Eggers" - what are those? Did you name the one that escapes Houdini? LOL!

Cal Ranch is where the old Safeway used to be near Hot Springs Road. Their website is www.calranch.com They're a fun store :)

The rest of the chicks are doing well, but I'm super paranoid that I'm going to check on them and somebody's going to be dead :p
Easter Eggers are basically the "mutt" version of americanas and araucanas. They lay blue or green or pink or brown eggs, depending on the hen.
Actually, I should have named the escape artist Houdini but her name's actually Snow White. lol.
You do have a valid fear, it has happened, but if it happens, it just happens and there's nothing you could have done about it. I can tell you're doing all you can.

Hi Inhiskeep,

You definitely need to keep your chicks backsides clean. The inability to properly relieve themselves can kill a small chick very quickly! I usually put a tiny little bit of Apple cider vinegar in their water and that seems to keep them from getting pasty. Also you can just soak the chick feed in hot water until you get an oatmeal type consistency. They really like that and it helps keep them hydrated and stuff. Although I do recommend one of the little trough feeders (2.99 at Cal Ranch) if you soak the feed because otherwise they tend to wear it. LOL

What's the ratio on the ACV? I tried what you suggested with the feed (I have a trough feeder), but they wouldn't touch it. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom