Nevadans?

No offense taken, thank you so much. When I first joined BYC last week, I posted in the forum for Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › My First Coop and Run. Need input before chickens are added.. I asked for ideas, suggestions before putting my chicks in there so that I could easily make any changes or modifications. I got 2 responses and only 1 of them was helpful. I have added ventilation that I did not have before. So thank you again. I really do appreciate it. I look forward to getting to know the chicken community better.

I spent a small fortune to get my one and only spit chick from alicefelldown and then I got a a pair from someone else in Oregon, since she had gotten a flock of all Silkieds out of them. 

I hatched out a poult last night, but it has a hernia and don't think it's going to make it. The chocolates aren't Silkied, but I'm hoping to eventually get LF and Silkied, so as usual...........more projects. LOL 

Sheryl, you need to come down for the meetup in Turlock. Karen is having it at her house. If nothing else, you might be able to come get some eggs and who knows what else. Besides, it would be great to see you. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing with my little sweety, but I know she'd have a great home with you and you'd love her. 

I'm sad to miss the Turlock meet up! But I'll have my new babe (hopefully) by then. I hope it's a great turnout .

Wondering- your bantam chocolate are orph or ???
I'm growing out pita pinta, faverolle, bresse , fbcm, bantam Colombian rocks, in addition to my layers coop and my olandsk breeders! As if I need more but... I've been wanting bantam chocolate for a while now!

Hello, I'm new to BYC and I'm in Northern Nevada, Lemmon Valley. We just freshened up existing coop on our property and added a run. We are brand new to chickens, and worried about predators. What are the common predators for this area?

Hello,
welcome-byc.gif
. Basically every predator I could think of was listed. There is one more, if you live in certain areas. You may want to watch out for bears. If there are bears in your area, as there are in mine, I personally recommend (and I am in no way an expert in this matter, this is just what has worked for me so far,) putting an electric fence around the coop.

celebrate.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
Oh my Goodness! I just did my final check on the chickens and Lacey my Broody - I have an early arrival tonight. It's a little bit wet still but I took it and did the feather sexing and if the feather sexing is accurate - IT'S A GIRL! MY VERY FIRST F1 IS HERE! I'm banding it to keep track to make sure!
D.gif

Last edited:
I looked at the eggshell and the bottom and the top didn't match so I went back out there and, yup, I have 2 F!'s, a boy and a girl, it seems by feather sexing.

:celebrate :weee :woot Oh my Goodness! I just did my final check on the chickens and Lacey my Broody - I have an early arrival tonight. It's a little bit wet still but I took it and did the feather sexing and if the feather sexing is accurate - IT'S A GIRL! MY VERY FIRST F1 IS HERE!  I'm banding it to keep track to make sure! :cd  
Congrats!! I'm so jealous of your broody. I need to find a hen already laying so I can get done eggs. Lol

Hello, :welcome . Basically every predator I could think of was listed. There is one more, if you live i

n certain areas. You may want to watch out for bears. If there are bears in your area, as there are in mine, I personally recommend (and I am in no way an expert in this matter, this is just what has worked for me so far,) putting an electric fence around the coop.

Bears! I hope not. I guess I have more research to do.

woot.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Congratulations! That is so exciting! Can't wait to see pictures of them!

Do you have another broody to hatch eggs from the 2 girls your getting from me?

No I most likely will not have a broody by then so I might just go ahead and break out the incubator and hatch or I may need to wait until next year. I know they won't be laying eggs much once we move them. It took Monique 2 months before she started laying again so it might be a missed opportunity.
Bears! I hope not. I guess I have more research to do.

If you have bears you most likely would have seen them already but if you haven't and they're still there then make sure to check the area around you for signs of them. Mainly scat, sausage looking scat.

I have 4 babies so far out of 8 viable eggs. I'm not reaching under the momma only checking her wing areas and I'm making sure not to disturb any eggs under her. I do not want her lifting up right now while they're hatching so there could be more under her.

Back
Top Bottom