Nevadans?

Sunny! How are you? How's your new rooster working out? :) I haven't been on here in forever, but hatching never stops at our house. Lol

I'm doing well thanks. I just put 6 eggs in the bator tonight. I was hoping for more but I also want to stick to only hatching the darkest eggs. I'm hoping for a boy for you.

This is my first test hatch with my roo that came from a super dark egg. I hope he's doing his job. :) He has grown into such a beautiful boy!

Last edited:
I'm doing well thanks. I just put 6 eggs in the bator tonight. I was hoping for more but I also want to stick to only hatching the darkest eggs. I'm hoping for a boy for you.

This is my first test hatch with my roo that came from a super dark egg. I hope he's doing his job. :) He has grown into such a beautiful boy!

I totally agree. I only let my daughter set our darkest ones or she'd hatch every egg from her favorite hens. Lol The rooster I have now doesn't seem like he likes the Marans girls, he seems like he follows my Ameraucana hens more. Which is fine for olive eggers, but come on!?! Lol Doesn't go for the full figured girls. Lol lol

Hi Sunny, I would love to see a picture of your boy from the super dark egg. Egg pictures too!

I added wheaten Marans last year from Fitz Farm lines. Sure love those dark eggs! Might be in the market for some of your BCM eggs to add a rooster to improve my golden cuckoos. :)

Last edited:
Hi Chickee! 4 of my 5 olive eggers from you are broody already. Ha! Love them. And my Ameraucanas are all fantastic. Picking back up on laying eggs quickly this year. Yay for spring!

Hi Sunny, I would love to see a picture of your boy from the super dark egg. Egg pictures too!

I added wheaten Marans last year from Fitz Farm lines. Sure love those dark eggs! Might be in the market for some of your BCM eggs to add a rooster to improve my golden cuckoos. :)

Hi chickee!

It's raining right now but once it clears up I'll get a pic for you. He is from Wynette and she has some gorgeous birds! A few years ago she was dealing with carnations combs (as so many Marans owners have) as well as a couple of white feathers on the boy's backs, at the tail, but she's gotten rid of the carnation comb problem and none of the boy's had any white feathers.

However I've only kept 1 boy out of all that hatched (my hatch was seriously boy heavy! 15). The others were all gifted (didn't meet SOP) or became part of our dog's raw food diet. I'm not ready to start breeding per se. Although I did promise kmolley that I'd try for a roo for her this spring.

I hate to promise anything but if I get a few boys I'll save you one (or better, a few in hopes of getting a great one) but right now I only have 6 eggs in the bator. I will add a few more in a week and again the next week. We will keep our fingers crossed for some beautiful boys!

However I'm being super picky about what I'll hatch and until I get through a few generations I won't know how the line is doing as far as egg color. I'm only hatching from 2 of my 14 marans hens. So it's gonna be quite awhile before I can build a flock from this trio. :)

As you know, even though both parents came from super dark eggs, that's no guarantee the resulting chicks will be awesome dark egg layers. I don't want to rush it this time. I really want an awesome flock like Wynette has so I'm gonna take it slow and be super picky.

So if I do get a roo for both of you maybe we could keep that to ourselves? There aren't many folks on here these days so I doubt I'll be inundated with requests like last time when I got overwhelmed from the folks on here.

I love my girls from you Sunny. I also have a few from Wynette and my rooster is from her. I'm not near as educated on them as you guys are, just love having them and having the Marans roosters has cut my hawks down quite a bit. Apparently the hawks don't want to chance it with these big boys around the yard. Lol

I love my girls from you Sunny. I also have a few from Wynette and my rooster is from her. I'm not near as educated on them as you guys are, just love having them and having the Marans roosters has cut my hawks down quite a bit. Apparently the hawks don't want to chance it with these big boys around the yard. Lol

Those boys are amazing flock protectors aren't they?!! They amaze me the way they will holler and run around getting all the girls in the coop. Most of my boys in the past (I haven't had an issue with hawks here yet) refused to run to safety until all the girls are safe inside. Cracks me up!

I'm so glad you're enjoying them!

Chickee- These two girls are from you. Great girls and awesome mothers.

Hi chickee!

It's raining right now but once it clears up I'll get a pic for you. He is from Wynette and she has some gorgeous birds! A few years ago she was dealing with carnations combs (as so many Marans owners have) as well as a couple of white feathers on the boy's backs, at the tail, but she's gotten rid of the carnation comb problem and none of the boy's had any white feathers.

However I've only kept 1 boy out of all that hatched (my hatch was seriously boy heavy! 15). The others were all gifted (didn't meet SOP) or became part of our dog's raw food diet. I'm not ready to start breeding per se. Although I did promise kmolley that I'd try for a roo for her this spring.

I hate to promise anything but if I get a few boys I'll save you one (or better, a few in hopes of getting a great one) but right now I only have 6 eggs in the bator. I will add a few more in a week and again the next week. We will keep our fingers crossed for some beautiful boys!

However I'm being super picky about what I'll hatch and until I get through a few generations I won't know how the line is doing as far as egg color. I'm only hatching from 2 of my 14 marans hens. So it's gonna be quite awhile before I can build a flock from this trio. :)

As you know, even though both parents came from super dark eggs, that's no guarantee the resulting chicks will be awesome dark egg layers. I don't want to rush it this time. I really want an awesome flock like Wynette has so I'm gonna take it slow and be super picky.

So if I do get a roo for both of you maybe we could keep that to ourselves? There aren't many folks on here these days so I doubt I'll be inundated with requests like last time when I got overwhelmed from the folks on here.

I totally understand Sunny. It is a long process to get where you want to be. I have been working on my Ameraucanas for 5 years. Last year I started seeing some encouraging results. I sold hatching eggs to two breeders, one in Arizona and one in Arkansas. One of the pullets the breeder in Arizona hatched was pulled from her grow out pen at the last minute, unwashed, unconditioned and ended up winning best variety and reserve breed. She was the first of my birds to be shown. The breeder in Arkansas entered eggs from a pullet she hatched from my eggs in the Arkansas 2015 Nationals and won Best Large Fowl Ameraucana Pullet Eggs with a score of 94 percent. The Marans are new to me so they are a challenge, but I enjoy working on improving the breeds I have. :)

Back
Top Bottom