Nevadans?

Trying to confirm with the City of Reno that the codes I found on-line are the only ones that exist currently. Haven't gotten a call back yet.

Quote:
what is wrong with them that you're saying they're dead, and not encouraging?? a detached air cell can still hatch.. they recoment hatching in a auto turned, or in a carton rather than on their sdies for those, as long as the youlk isn't scrambled, it's still possible.... i'll keep fingers crossed for you....
i know my local depot is bad on incoming eggs, but i sent some to florida, out of the 28 that she put in the bator, 27 hatched.... some LF, some bantam, so shipping isn't always bad... i think the health of hte parents makes a big difference...
i'm not sure where you could post it, maybe in the hatching eggs section, or in the breeds section, but put a post saying i'm looking for serams who has had good luck with shipped eggs, and from where....
also, place an add on criag's list in areas you would be willing to drive to t pick up eggs, or maybe even chicks or started birds....
just some thoughts...

Evonne, Thanks, I did place all 13 eggs in the bator small end down. I made a rack for them and am turning by hand but will see what happens with all the detached air cell eggs. wish me luck folks and seriously any and all info concerning these eggs is welcome. any special care, should I keep the humidity higher, lower, turn less often. hold my mouth in funny positions? whatever. i am very good at using information, even seemingly contradictory information. I just want to give these little guys the best chance I can. Then maybe everyone else in Reno will not have to go through mailing to get Seramas when they want them.
Anyway incubation is T plus 10.5 hours I set them last night at about 6 P.M.

Quote:
Good luck with what you have left.

yes, good luck, and make sure to keep us updated!! I dont have much info on the incubating, but isnt it great everyone? We're gonna have our own serama dealer in nevada.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Good luck with what you have left.

yes, good luck, and make sure to keep us updated!! I dont have much info on the incubating, but isnt it great everyone? We're gonna have our own serama dealer in nevada.
big_smile.png

I've never seen a serama.
hmm.png

SD, They are pint size chickens. smaller than bantams. but have a real game cock stance. The smallest (class A) are barely half a pound and the largest are just over a pound. it looks like I have a fairly decent mix if egg size is any indication.

I am now half way into day 2. so far average temp in bator has been 99.06 degrees. I have a bit of a temp dip at night and until yesterday this incubator wanted to gain a huge spike early in the afternoon. as much as 107. I was a nervous wreck all afternoon yesterday but we finally got the problem solved by covering the windows to my shop with foil. no sunny in the shop for the next weeks. I have gotten a lot of messages saying that the broken air cell eggs can be hatched. That made my kids and me much happier. I will candle on day 7 or 8 bit until then they are getting no more movement than is required to turn them. I have them in a rack so turning is nothing more than tipping the rack to one side or the other. pointed ends are down so the air bubble stays up north where it belongs.

The seller said something about selling the shell of the broken egg??? anyone know anything about that? I know people will buy blown eggs to paint and stuff but have no idea what broken egg shells would be used for.

Penturner - I keep my bator in a closet - happens to be in the middle of my house, under the stairs. The closet helps keep temps around the outside of the bator more stable - but with the coming raise in daytime temps I am sure I will need to keep an eye on the top end temp. I keep my humidity at about 30 to 40 for the first 18 days and then raise it to 50 - 60 for lockdown. I hatch in a LG, forced air with turner.

Horsefeathers, I guess I should explain a bit about my shop. It is not what one would typically think of when they think shop. it is more like a living room. it is heated air conditioned, walls are sheet rocked, textured and painted. very comfortable but mid day sun shines through the double french doors and can make the temperature go up pretty high. If I am working out there I simply open a window. The incubator said it was having a hard time reaching that hi so I would have to do something about the sun getting in.
My shop is so comfortable I will go out there in my socks at 4:00 in the morning. really really nice, but messy.

Back
Top Bottom