Nevadans?

Cute dogs HorseFeatherz!
thumbsup.gif

As long as we are posting gratuitous pics of our other animals - this is Phoebe.

58980_phoebe1.jpg

She was a rescue cat.
celebrate.gif
She's turned into the best cat I've ever had!
cool.png

My chickens have turned into mousers. A few months ago we saw one of our chickens kill a mouse. Now they are all fighting for the tasty morsels! I saw a hen grab up a mouse on the fly today and all the others immediately ran after her to try and snatch the thing away! And here I was feeling sorry for them because we have very few worms here.
roll.png

We live next to a large field so mice are inevitable but it's nice to have mice-killing chickens around. I wondered why I hadn't seen any in so long when the neighbors are still complaining about them.
smile.png

Cute cat NevadaRon.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
HorsefeathersNV
Love the photos!! My girls just fell in love with Hannah! When I was looking at your post, Olivia immediately recognized Hannah!

Sunny: if only we could train chickens to take care of our other "pests and predators"!

NevadaRon
Very pretty cat! We had a rescue dalmatian named Stanley, who was my "Best Dog Ever" We had to emergently put him down last summer. Still miss him.

Stanley

60407_dscn0506.jpg

Now I have 2 pugs:

Brees (yes named after Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints' quarterback!) She is 9 months old.

60407_chicken_coop_2010_007.jpg

And Cooper. He is 2 yrs old. I call this photo: Coopie enjoying his grass...

60407_coop_grass.jpg

Have a great day!!!!

Carol

Last edited:
Hello everyone, great posts, great pictures.
Raccoons hunt when they there is food. Warning they are not afraid of you either. never try to confront an adult Raccoon. I was in my truck the other morning as I passed one crossing the road. I slowed down and I am serious. That coon was trying to decide if it was going to take my truck on.
As for being smart. Lots of people don't believe how smart they are until they see one crack a safe.

Order for nipples was placed today. it will ship UPS so I am thinking 4 days or so.

Thanks for the update Daniel.

Love the pics everybody! That Dalmation is a beautiful dog!

I am sooo excited today!!! I got my first green egg!
wee.gif
I can't believe that a little green egg has made my day!

Here it is with some marans' and RIR eggs...
41069_1st_green_egg.jpg

The sunlight coming in the window (right side) is making it look a little more blue than it really is but isn't it a beauty?!!!

Last edited:
NevadaRon – She is a beauty! She reminds me of a cat we had for years, Niffer – (her name was Jennifer when we got her and I cannot have two Genny or Jenny(s) in the house ) Niffer was a real Queen and knew that humans were her servants. Hope your move is starting to go smooth – even if you are not in the actual move part – I know packing can be a real joy ride at times.

Sunny – I am so jealous and am going to send some of my girls to your house for Mouse hunting lessons! Do you know who laid that green beauty? Ok, no more pictures of your beautiful dark brown spotty eggs,
tongue2.gif
makes me want another breed or two. Which means a
smack.gif
for me!

SparksNV – Stanley was so very handsome and with an intelligent looking face! Many times I see Dals that have that vacant *no one home* look (one of my sisters was “into” Dals for a longtime and did some showing) The Pugs…………goodness they are adorable. Brees ears, what personality. I really think Hannah enjoyed having your daughters here - all the loving attention.

Penturner – Sounds good on the nipples.

Knemeyer and SparksNV, it does seem to take forever when you're waiting for that first egg doesn't it? But, boy is it exciting when it finally gets here! I'm almost as bad with every new chicken that lays for me. I get sooo excited!!! I don't have any advice to help with the waiting. Genny is about the only one I know who is sooo patient in this area.

Genny, I don't know who laid this one. I didn't catch them on the nest. I was pretty sure it was not Honker's because I scared her off the nest a couple of days ago and there was a tiny brown pullet egg under her but it may not have been hers! She may have just been practicing, like they do sometimes a couple days before they lay. I have a few new layers that could have been responsible for the tiny brown egg.
I assumed it was one of the 3 EEs I got from Green's Feed but they are just 20 weeks old today (give or take a day). That is pretty early for an EE. I've heard they usually lay between 6 and 8 months but since they are mutts it's really anybody's guess. I hope to catch whoever it was soon.
Sweet Cheeks made so much noise and seemed determined to wait for me to come and see when she laid (she was soooo proud) and Belle, poor thing, just happened to be on the nest when I was checking eggs and I startled her just when she popped out an egg so she actually seemed confused and very unsettled by the incident (she laid her next 2 eggs on the floor).
I couldn't tell for sure if this brown one was Honker's egg for sure, it was warm but not as warm as it would be if it were just laid and the bloom was already set. I don't know, it could have been Honker's. She is a week older than my EEs from Green's Feed... (I know I could check their vents but I'll save my back the trouble of catching them since I know I'll figure it out in time).
I let you know when I figure it out for sure.
And yes, I am shamelessly in love with the super dark eggs!!! I just loooove the beautiful array of colors in my egg basket!
love.gif
I'm addicted!!!

Hope everybody is having a great weekend! Love the pics!!! More!!!

Last edited:
HorseFeatherz - thanks for asking about my move! A lot of hard work so far on the new place, so I haven't even had time to start packing yet. When I get a chance I will take a picture of the view from the front porch - it's excellent!

SunnyDawn - I haven't had time to take any new pics of my "BOs" for you to help me identify them. But I've done some research and I think maybe they are actually Red Sex Links. So much for the expertise of the clerks at the Big R Store!
rant.gif
Here are some previous pics - what do you think?
hu.gif

Babies - the light colored ones.

58980_dscn1255.jpg

A couple of weeks old - the reddish brown and white speckled ones.

58980_dscn1263.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, again, the ones with "dirty" white in them.

58980_thegirls.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom