Nevadans?

Well since the babies are staying inside my home and the bigger babies are pooping WAY too much so the smell is getting pretty bad I decided to try the granulated garlic on them today. I figured like with the adult birds it would take at least a couple of weeks to see if it was doing anything for the odor.

I put the garlic in their food at Noon and then left for the afternoon doing some CL's pick ups and monthly pet food shopping. I got back home around 5:30 p.m., opened my bathroom door and was knocked over by a Titanic wave of warm, moist, garlic smell. I thought I had just poured raw super fresh garlic all over myself and I could not catch my breath quick enough to be able to inhale anything but pure heavy garlic. If I had of been a vampire I would have instantly imploded.

There are 34 Baby chicks in a 6X10 enclosed area with two 250w heat lamps set at 83 and 95 degrees at all times. The last vent in the house from the furnace is in this bathroom so for some reason the furnace blows way more heat in that room than any other room in the house, so add that hot air on top of the heat lamps along with it being a bathroom so there is a lot of moisture in there so you have this pretty thick humidity thing going on in there too. Now add all of the wonderful baby poop in with the mix and by 2 am in the morning you do not even want to go in there to check on them to make sure they are ok because you know when you open that door you are going to get knocked over with that hot, humid, chicken poop smell.

I clean everything out and wash everything down every day and half of the babies spend the majority of the late morning, early afternoon outside now so my house and bathroom gets some what of an airing out every day but as you all know, as soon as nighttime hits it is like giving a Fleet Enema to a 6 month old baby to our chickens, insane amounts everywhere. Very Ripe in that bathroom at times.

Anyway, just in case anyone was wondering if the garlic would change the smell of their poop, it no longer smells of chicken excrement in my bathroom but it does smell like a strong stewed garlic bulb.
smile.png
I am going to assume that since the bigger chickens are outside the overwhelming garlic smell will not be anywhere as strong. If you are having problems with neighbours complaining about the smell from your chicken run give them a good whiff of garlic and see which they prefer. hehe

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Saym! We have an IFA store at the other end of town, but I've just been too lazy to make it there. I really need to check it out.

On the topic of tin water heaters...

I have pine shavings and my water bowl sits on a cinder block - I am really worried about fires - wouldn't this be a problem using the heater?

carol

Everyone sure they dont want her? i posted her on craigslist but im gonna give her to any byc-er locally who wants her for free. shes alright but i think she is really scared of people. Id love to keep her but i have always wanted to do the blue orp thang.

still waiting on a cl hit, but my byc-ers have priority. healthy and well taken care of.
photo47.jpg

Knemeyer - I found a 40lbs bag of BOSS for 20$ at PetSmart ... also (in the past) have found 25lbs bag at SuperWalmart for around 13$ ... should have thought to look at IFA. I get feed there frequently though it's on the other side of town from me too. Hmmm.

To Carol on the cookie tin water heater...Trust your own judgement. MY waterbowl is on a cinderblock with heater in between the block and the pan of the waterer, so it is not on the ground. I do have clean sand under the waterer with no flammable material nearby...so I don't worry about that..Maybe another option for you is to put the waterer near a light inside, (if you keep one on at night.).usually that is enough to keep the water from freezing solid..
I think everyone has such diverse coops and layouts that you will find what works for you and what you're comfortable with. I personally worry about water vs electricity! But this arrangement looks good to me and it is easily turned off and on.

Quote:
Oh Noooooo!!!!! Well I have fertile eggs now and my Ams are laying so if you want a few eggs in spring (actually you live in such a temperate climate you could take them anytime) let me know! I would wait a month or so though, so the pullets have time to mature some. You'll get a better hatch that way.
smile.png

Might take you up on that. I have a couple in the bator right now that are BBS. I really want more blues and lavs though. My little lavs are so cute! Hatched on the 6th.

No problem. I am looking for some blues myself. Only want purebreds though. I don't personally care that much but when I go to sell them everyone wants to know what lines they came from etc, etc.
Kim what does FBCM stand for? I sure would love to borrow your Maran's roo for a couple of weeks next spring for dark egg layers in the spring.
big_smile.png

I'd trade you some free black am eggs.

Aubreynoramarie thanks for the info on the block feeder. As for your Orp, I'll take her! I already have a couple of nervous nellies in my flock already so she can hang out with them.
smile.png

Thanks for the pics Carol!
thumbsup.gif
In answer to your question about blue/drk brown eggs... I will have blue eggs available in spring. Some are EEs (some are even from 2 pure ameraucanas but the mix, black and wheaton, are not an accepted variety so will be called EEs and others are a mix of EEs that are green egg layers fertilized by a black roo) and some are pure black Ameraucanas. I posted pics of both colored eggs awhile back so you could take your pic. If you take the chicks hatched from the green eggs the eggs they lay will most likely be less green since the only roo I have is a pure Black Am.
I do not have any roos to breed to my BCMs, CM, or Welsummers so I can't help you there but if I hear of anyone selling them this spring I will let you know.

Thanks for all the great info on stores, treats and feed saym, Jeeper1540 and vegaschick.

Eglyntine thanks for the info on the garlic. I kind of figured that was exactly what would happen but I'm glad someone else tried it first!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom