Nevadans?

I made scrambled eggs exclusively from all my own eggs for the first time this morning and they were a beautiful dark yellow! And in the process, I had two brown eggs with double yolks. Pretty cool considering I only had 4 brown eggs so far. Is this common? One of my cuckoo marans was in the nest this morning, but didn't leave an egg. Wondering, is it for practice because she's getting near or just a nice warm spot? Both of my barred rocks are laying now! I'm gonna get so spoiled by all this progress and then the cold is probably gonna slow them down.

Hubby suspended the feed and waterer in the run today. He did such a great job! I asked him to start looking into a heat lamp. If any of you have any input on that I would appreciate it. Also, the wind has been whipping into their door into the coop and blowing dirt into the coop and clearing away the litter. Should I maybe do some type of cat/dog door flap? I'm thinking maybe we could do that instead of closing them in the coop every night, but not sure how efficient it would be. Might not be a big deal on the Las Vegas area, we we're in the far northwest and the wind can really whip up. I explained to the hubby that I need to get input from the forum before we make any decisions because you all are so knowledgeable.

Speaking of blues, I would love to get a couple of blue orps this Spring along with some others. Anyone in the LV or maybe Logandale area anticipating selling some chicks then? Boy am I long-winded tonight! Thanks all!

Quote:
Yes double yolks are common for young pullets. They will come less frequently as they get older.
sad.png

Your Cuckoo Marans girl is probably getting ready to lay for you!
clap.gif
Is her face reddening up, does she squat when you come near? These are all good signs.
The cold does slow them down some but the shorter days are what really slow them down. You can put a light on a timer to give them a couple more hours of light each day to keep them laying but many folks prefer to give them a rest in winter.

Quote:
Shutting them in at night is vital for their safety! Most predators hunt at night and even a six foot fence will not deter a lot of predators! A heat lamp is not really necessary unless you have a large coop and not many birds. The birds themselves are very good at keeping a coop warm. Also make sure your roosts are wide enough that the birds can cover their feet completely when roosting with their bodies. This prevents frostbite to their feet which are more vulnerable. I doubt the birds will want to push through a plastic flap anyway but I've never tried it. I have thought about getting one of those automatic pet doors that stay locked until a preset time in the morning though. These can also be set to automatically lock at night for whatever time you choose.

Congrats on the eggs!!!
ya.gif

Last edited:
okay sunny, eglyntine has showed some interest in her, so as soon as she tells me whats up i will let you know. If she doesnt want her then i would be more than happy to swing by your place and drop her off. I would be happy to see your orp dels anyhow, since one of the reasons im giving her up is to make room for one. i cant wait!

Quote:
Ok. I'm totally fine either way. Thanks. Feel free to stop by and take a look at Genny's Orp Del crosses anyway. They sure are pretty gals and pics just don't do them justice.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree! I've never had a BO that wasn't a great hen. Though there are always exceptions to the rule. I've even heard a couple of stories from folks that swear their RIR roos are sweet!
lau.gif

I'm so bummed, I am not going to be able to go to the Poultry show this weekend. We were so excited to see some other chicks and meet some of the folks from this forum. We'll be out of town - so hopefully we can catch another show.

My girls have been laying pretty darn good! At least 3 out of 4 of them. Our Buff Orph is still not laying and she's 30 weeks old now. Little Lakenvelder lays a cute little whitish/cream egg. The Golden Laced Wyndotte lays a dark brown, and Wanda our Delaware lays the typical light brown. They're all so pretty, but I'm so envious of those gorgeous really dark brown eggs and the Easter Egg colored ones. Maybe this spring I can add to the flock! It is still such a thrill to find an egg. Love it.

Quote:
Awww. Well hopefully next time we can meet you! Where is the show again? I could scroll back but I thought it would be easier to just ask.
big_smile.png

It's at the hm.... well, the flyer just says Nevad State Meet in Reno NV Nov 19th & 20th.
Somebody on this thread, maybe Carol? will be there. Sorry Carol if it's not you & I'm neglecting to name who it really is. the phone # for more info is DD Monroe 847-7948 or e-mail [email protected]. Also have a green flyer that has 2 more numbers Cliff 577-9693 and Rich 847-0382.
Jennifer

Hey sunny, Nikki is going to pick up my girl tomorrow, but thanks so much for the offer anyhow!

I WILL be going to this poultry show. It seems I never have anymoney when these things come around, but not this time. So it's at livestock? I wonder what the times are? Is it inside or outside? How exciting!

Back
Top Bottom