Nevadans?

she's cool! You do have quite the mixed flock! How do you handle the quarantine when you get new birds? seems like that could get complicated. Just thinking about how I would do that in the future.

Yesterday we got most of the roof sheathing on. We have 3 smaller pieces to do today. Hopefully we can finish that and get the roofing felt on today. It will feel so good to have the roof done!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd be happy to share my so-called "blueprints." When I'm done I will scan them for you. the window openings are all different because I made them to fit stuff I found at the Restore. So you would want to change the dimensions to fit what you are using for windows. But that's pretty easy to adjust.

well, I've had coffee so I better get dressed and get out to the coop.

Elizabeth

Quote:
Controversial answer is I don't. I got this one from Julie and I totally trust her. Either way I know there are risks but I don't have pens in my yard (besides the one the goats go in at night.) The way I see it is if a new bird is a carrier of something putting it in quarantine isn't going to make it any more or less obvious. If it's a carrier it won't show and you're going to end up integrating it anyway. I just throw em to the wolves.

Now if I had gotten the bird from someone I Didnt know then maybe I would crate her for two or three days to ensure she wasn't already sick with something but I feel that's just about all you can do to prevent the spread of disease
hmm.png

Btw, she fit RIGHT in here. I seriously love my flock dynamic.It's almost like they make eachother mellow, calm, and friendly because they don't see other birds being panicky or mean. This is why I am glad I do not keep the flighty and timid birds. I think they feed off eachothers vibes.

Good morning!

Quote:
It's sad to see them go but when the flock is happier, it's so much more enjoyable.

I just posted my saga from the last few days on the Polish thread....my Polish/Silkie trouble maker disappeared after I threw him out of the Polish house for plucking a couple of the roo's crest..everything was quieter this morning but tonight I found the poor guy trapped between a grow out pen and wire fencing....not exactly how I wanted to rehome him. He was alive but barely....now I have to nurse him back to health and then continue trying to find a home for him....'cause he can't go in with the Polish and someone ran him into that spot out of the egg layers.....and he's a really sweet guy too.....but I did like the peaceful day we had.....of course, had I known he was stuck somewhere dying....now I just feel guilty....I checked that same spot a couple of times today.......

Sounds like Petey has a good home! Maybe Mr T could join him! LOL Post pictures of the new Turken!

Quote:
good to know what you do. it makes sense.

We finished putting on the roof today. I also got the vinyl flooring down. Next up is the roofing felt and shingles. But it was a great step to get that sheathing done.

I also made a little roost for the chicks. I used some dowels and plywood scraps. It has two rows. They seem to like it. there are 7 of them sleeping on the roost now. the rest are piled up in their usual spots.

Have a good night, everyone!

Last edited:
Quote:
It's sad to see them go but when the flock is happier, it's so much more enjoyable.

I just posted my saga from the last few days on the Polish thread....my Polish/Silkie trouble maker disappeared after I threw him out of the Polish house for plucking a couple of the roo's crest..everything was quieter this morning but tonight I found the poor guy trapped between a grow out pen and wire fencing....not exactly how I wanted to rehome him. He was alive but barely....now I have to nurse him back to health and then continue trying to find a home for him....'cause he can't go in with the Polish and someone ran him into that spot out of the egg layers.....and he's a really sweet guy too.....but I did like the peaceful day we had.....of course, had I known he was stuck somewhere dying....now I just feel guilty....I checked that same spot a couple of times today.......

Sounds like Petey has a good home! Maybe Mr T could join him! LOL Post pictures of the new Turken!

LOL! it's so easy to be mad at them until you see how stupid they really are!

Back
Top Bottom