Nevadans?

I JUST CHASED OFF A BIG Bobcat that was trying to get my chickens!
barnie.gif
ep.gif
Holy crap! It's a good thing you got to it first!

BTW that girl is gorgeous! And the babies are soooo cute. Congratulations!

Awww, Candy, they're adorable!
love.gif
I'm glad you chased off the bobcat!

So I've noticed that Williams Sonoma has a new "Agrarian" line of chic farming products. First thing I think is... how ironic. I've only been into Williams Sonoma once, long enough to consider the high prices and rationalize that I can get the same thing at Walmart for a lot cheaper. Except one time I did buy a set of Star Wars pancake molds there.

What are your thoughts on this? Some of us garden and preserve and raise chickens just as a hobby, and a lot of us do it to save money. So what do you think about a swanky company that will offer you 4 quart canning jars for $25? Or a cute designer chicken coop for $900, that's not predator proof?

Here's a link...
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop...mi&cm_cat=Remarketing&cm_pla=Click&cm_ite=All

Love the Mom tat, Aubrey!

Good job chasing off that bobcat chickee! And your chicks are gorgeous! Your blrw is gorgeous, too!
love.gif

So I've noticed that Williams Sonoma has a new "Agrarian" line of chic farming products. First thing I think is... how ironic. I've only been into Williams Sonoma once, long enough to consider the high prices and rationalize that I can get the same thing at Walmart for a lot cheaper. Except one time I did buy a set of Star Wars pancake molds there.

What are your thoughts on this? Some of us garden and preserve and raise chickens just as a hobby, and a lot of us do it to save money. So what do you think about a swanky company that will offer you 4 quart canning jars for $25? Or a cute designer chicken coop for $900, that's not predator proof?

Here's a link...
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop...mi&cm_cat=Remarketing&cm_pla=Click&cm_ite=All
Aww Missy, I've seen those! I agree it seems really ironic that chickens are "trendy" even though I think most people do it as a way to either save money, or bring us closer to the source of our food, or both. Around here we also just enjoy their silly little personalities.

I have a hen that is afraid of the cement sidewalk on the side of our house. She tries to fly over it when we let them out of the run to poke around the yard.

love.gif

Here's a link...
Well, C-A-L Ranch has a better looking coop/run combo than that for under $200. I think W-S is for yuppies who don't think an item is worth anything unless it has a designer name tag and costs way too much! I'm surprised they aren't called chicken "coopes"!
cool.png
Of course, I wear designer jeans, too - Kirkland Signature.
lol.png

last night I went out to check on the chickens and the little chicks were sleeping together in a pile on their porch. the run is predator proof so I leave the pop doors open all the time now. I figured if they were comfy out there, I'd let them stay and they were fine this morning. I do need to get some more shade cloth to put on the run. it's getting pretty toasty out there. there is some shade somewhere in the run at all times of day but I'd like to get a little more of it shaded now that we're getting the hot weather.

Thanks for the plants, Sunny! I think they will be just fine.

Gorgeous momma and chicks, Candy! good job on the bobcat. that is scary!

Well, I think the williams sonoma thing is for people that have extra $$ to spend on their hobbies, I guess. martha stewart-type chicken owners
gig.gif
I look for good quality at reasonable prices. some things are worth a little extra $ for more quality and other things it doesn't matter so the cheapest is fine. Even if I had lots of money, I think the frugal would be pretty hard to shake out of me, having been raised in a very frugal family. the canning jars crack me up though. Why would you need to spend so much on jars? a jar is a jar. Oh, and I took a look at their raised garden bed section. Just $199.95 for a 2' x 2' raised cedar bed kit! Now those would be some pricey veggies!

Last edited:
Well, C-A-L Ranch has a better looking coop/run combo than that for under $200. I think W-S is for yuppies who don't think an item is worth anything unless it has a designer name tag and costs way too much! I'm surprised they aren't called chicken "coopes"!
cool.png
lol.png
yuckyuck.gif

cool.png
lol.png

I wonder if the people looking at all these cute coops are even thinking of the mass defilement that a chicken will do to them. I get that all the time from friends. "Oh, you raise your own chickens? That's so cool! I should... Oh, they poop THAT much?"

Last night, I posted on Facebook, asking, "
What are some things that you've done to get ahead in life, that some people may see as praiseworthy, but others treat as trashy behavior?​
" This was brought on by a photo that a friend posted last week, of her son holding one of my chickens. A friend commented, "Please tell me that thing is not at your house!" I felt like replying, "No, that THING is at my house." I don't know why it bugged me so much... my friend isn't any higher income than me. She has a larger house, but that's kind of irrelevant to the income situation. It's kind of like the disdainful looks that people give me when they pass by and see me working in my garden... often covered with dirt. It's a lifestyle choice and I love it, but I find it interesting that it's something that can be seen as virtuous by some people, trashy by others, yet morally neutral by religious and legal standards.

Last edited:
I put myself through college, so I had to do plenty of things people see as trashy. Like shopping at Thrift stores, being a dirty field tech, oh and playing with lizards and frogs. "You touch those things?!" And I've actually been denied service at stores when I went in wearing field clothes. Like they've never seen a woman in unfeminine clothing ---insert assumptions here.

Once a lady overheard me talking to the owner of a restaurant when he asked me what I did for a living. She started shuddering and told me she was so disgusted by what I do that she couldn't eat her dinner. Really, lizards are that gross? I bet she has a cat who regularly infects her with toxoplasmosis and thinks it is just wonderful. And to clarify, I'm an ecologist, so I don't pull animals apart, I like/need to study their behavior and interactions.

But then, for all the people that find my animal obsession to be quirky or off-putting, there are lots who'd love to do it. And as for being frugal, I'd have to agree with Elizabeth, that even if I could afford to spend more on things I don't think I'd do it. I honestly don't understand spending tons extra for name brands, unless there truly is added value (it won't fall apart as quickly, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom