Never been a well chicken

Kirklasu

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
My small bantam was lame from a chick when we got her. We suspected the wrong food causing gout but it could be genetic.
We treated her for gout at the time. The lameness would swap from left to right and back or be in both at times. She seemed to recover and by February this year looked stunning with a bright red comb, strong legs good black feathers and was our best layer! Then she went sick for a week with diarrhoea but when she recovered she had the following ailments: somewhat shrunken and less red comb, solid food in her poop, and never laid an egg since.
She is still the same but has become lame again. The lameness switches legs but her right one is the worst.
She has just got through a big moult and I thought she might improve after that but no.
We had to bring her indoors as she was getting so cold stood or sat outside without moving.
She is eating and drinking but her legs tremble a lot even when she is picked up.
We’ve but ointment on her legs to help with pain though we are not keen on the idea but it has helped.
I fed her some lettuce today which she wolfed down but now I see lettuce in her poop. If she eats whole grains I see whole grains in her poop and so does she! She even went to eat it once!!
Any ideas?

What is her diet? Does she get grit? Have you tried vitamin therapy?
She gets time outside and eats soil… but I will make sure she has grit indoors. We give her drops into her beak for vitamins: Poultry Power Nutri-Drops with vitamins and Zinc added. Designed to be a fast acting pick-me -up supplement full of energy and immune system supporting vitamins.
She eats mealyworms, layers pellets plus mixtures of grains which we add seaweed powder, hemp, garlic etc and she eats fresh corn on the cob and blue berries and lettuce as treats.
We also add live apple cider vinegar to her water every few days

Last edited:
I am so sad about your chicken, I suggest you to take her to the vet.
Thank you. We are very reticent to go to our local avian vet since the last time we went when we took our Silkie on day one of her being quiet and lethargic as we suspected she MIGHT have eaten rhubarb leaves and they took her off us and pumped her stomach and we could hear her screaming… she never got over it and died. They said there was nothing wrong with what she’d eaten. Since then we’ve tried to look after our own chickens. In UK vets don’t know a whole lot about chickens.

Thank you. We are very reticent to go to our local avian vet since the last time we went when we took our Silkie on day one of her being quiet and lethargic as we suspected she MIGHT have eaten rhubarb leaves and they took her off us and pumped her stomach and we could hear her screaming… she never got over it and died. They said there was nothing wrong with what she’d eaten. Since then we’ve tried to look after our own chickens. In UK vets don’t know a whole lot about chickens.
I'm sorry for your loss :(, but in my opinion, a qualified veterinarian wouldn't risk treating an animal without the necessary expertise. Your vet evidently has knowledge in poultry care; otherwise, they would have acknowledged their limitations and refused to treat your chicken.

If you genuinely don't have confidence in your local vet, consider searching for another one. If that's not possible, your last option may be to keep this animal in your thoughts and prayers, hoping for a full recovery.

Either way or the other, I wish you best of luck and may your hen get better!!!

I'm sorry for your loss :(, but in my opinion, a qualified veterinarian wouldn't risk treating an animal without the necessary expertise. Your vet evidently has knowledge in poultry care; otherwise, they would have acknowledged their limitations and refused to treat your chicken.

If you genuinely don't have confidence in your local vet, consider searching for another one. If that's not possible, your last option may be to keep this animal in your thoughts and prayers, hoping for a full recovery.

Either way or the other, I wish you best of luck and may your hen get better!!!
Thank you

She gets time outside and eats soil… but I will make sure she has grit indoors. We give her drops into her beak for vitamins: Poultry Power Nutri-Drops with vitamins and Zinc added. Designed to be a fast acting pick-me -up supplement full of energy and immune system supporting vitamins.
She eats mealyworms, layers pellets plus mixtures of grains which we add seaweed powder, hemp, garlic etc and she eats fresh corn on the cob and blue berries and lettuce as treats.
We also add live apple cider vinegar to her water every few days
Cut out everything but the layer pellets, too many treats can compound issues that you already have and cause some. Especially the grain, worms and garlic, which is toxic to birds if overfed.

Back
Top Bottom