Never had geese but I think I want some!

ket806

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 7, 2012
I have never had geese buy have always loved them!! We have been talking about getting some to add to our flock! We like the ones without knobs but we will consider anything!! We would really like to get at least a pair of "watch dogs" lol as well! I've heard I can't get anything until spring which is ok! I would like to hatch some eggs as well maybe! I live in Lubbock Texas I don't mind shipped eggs but I have never shipped anything live so idk how that works. Would anyone be able to help me?

Shipping goose eggs is a risky business since the damage to air cells can be greater to them than chicken eggs. Read the stick at the top of the goose section concerning incubation needs of goose eggs as they require much more than chickens.

Shipping of live birds is done via USPS anything over 72 hours old HAS to be sent express mail. Any chickens, ducks geese under 72 hours old can be shipped priority, however we do not recommend it and do not ship any of ours via priority. It is worth the little bit extra cost to get them sent as quickly as possible.

Each breeder has a different way of handling how they ship, so you need to communicate with the source of your goslings as to how to handle them when they arrive to you.

Many have waiting lists already started for the 2013 season. Anyone requesting money down now I would avoid. Waiting lists are just that a list to be notified as soon as eggs are and or goslings are available to be purchased.

Geese are not watch dogs, they will alert to something, but offer no protection to any flock of ducks or chickens. They are more bluff than anything when it comes to a predator they are at risk as well.

Geese should be allowed to graze for 90% of their diet, provided celan drinking water daily, safe secure night time housing to keep predators for taking them.

They do NOT need a pond, as kiddie pools kept clean make them just as happy.

You can keep two female, or two ganders as pets together as easily as a male/female pair. If two ganders (males) are kept as pets it is best tonever add a single goose (female) as it can lead to majot fights between the boys.

Geese will wonder to graze, so fencing to keep them on your property is needed.

Shipping goose eggs is a risky business since the damage to air cells can be greater to them than chicken eggs. Read the stick at the top of the goose section concerning incubation needs of goose eggs as they require much more than chickens.

Thank you for your reply sorry I am new to the site what is a "stick"?

Shipping of live birds is done via USPS anything over 72 hours old HAS to be sent express mail. Any chickens, ducks geese under 72 hours old can be shipped priority, however we do not recommend it and do not ship any of ours via priority. It is worth the little bit extra cost to get them sent as quickly as possible.

Each breeder has a different way of handling how they ship, so you need to communicate with the source of your goslings as to how to handle them when they arrive to you.

Many have waiting lists already started for the 2013 season. Anyone requesting money down now I would avoid. Waiting lists are just that a list to be notified as soon as eggs are and or goslings are available to be purchased.

Geese are not watch dogs, they will alert to something, but offer no protection to any flock of ducks or chickens. They are more bluff than anything when it comes to a predator they are at risk as well.

Geese should be allowed to graze for 90% of their diet, provided celan drinking water daily, safe secure night time housing to keep predators for taking them. 

They do NOT need a pond, as kiddie pools kept clean make them just as happy.

You can keep two female, or two ganders as pets together as easily as a male/female pair. If two ganders (males) are kept as pets it is best tonever add a single goose (female) as it can lead to majot fights between the boys.

Geese will wonder to graze, so fencing to keep them on your property is needed.

I have read that they do alarm and aren't "attack birds" my understanding of "watch dog" is a breed more likely to raise alarm when something is near. I'd that wrong? Sorry I have never had them I just think they are beautiful and my husband and I have been talking about getting a few. We live on 14 acres and all of our flock(ducks and chickens) free range during the day and are "cooped" separately at night. I have 2 kiddy pools for the ducks right now and are cleaned once a week. If I did get geese I would get a few more pools just so everyone can have one. Do you happen to know anyone close to Lubbock tx that has geese? Or do you have any? I really appreciate all of your info and help:) is there a specific breed you would recommend for starters??? We have been looking at a few like- cotton patch, embden

Pilgrim, Pomeranian, and the curly ones(I don't know what they are called)

Thank you for your reply sorry I am new to the site what is a "stick"?
welcome-byc.gif
Stickies are kind of like highlighters for threads. Threads with lots of info are "stickied" to make them easy to find - all of the forums have them they're at the top:

(click on the picture ^ to make it bigger)

There are 3 links to important threads there, here's the direct link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/497391/geese-sticky-topics-index

Pilgrim, Pomeranian, and the curly ones(I don't know what they are called)
curly ones are Sebastopol geese

There are several breeders on BYC, you can find some of their listings on the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/34/other-poultry-birds-hatching-eggs
or you can search online for hatcheries that ship, or your local craigslist. But definitely read up on geese as much as you can
smile.png

Oo ok I have wondered what these stickies were I've seen it a few times lol! Thank you I will definatly go look!!! Much abliged!!! Gla to be on BYC it's so much help:)

I have a pair of "Utility" Toulouse geese. Not the "Dewlap" type of Toulouse. They are amazing, and no knobby things, either. ;-). They are in my flock of 50-some chickens, a slew of Cayuga ducks, and a couple of turkeys.

They do alert, quite well. My two do not like "conflict" in the flock so they will break up amorous pairs of chicken or ducks, if there is any noise about it. I think it's cool because roosters should be gentlemen with their hens and only mount the willing.

I bought mine as goslings shipped in the mail from Ideal Poultry.

Back
Top Bottom