Never in 43 years!!! Amazed!!!

Sorry I haven't been able to get in awhile. The takeaway from this hen trying to set in a squirrel nest is as follows:

1.It's along way up and down to the nest!
2.Squrrils fix and maintain their nest not really possible for a hen in that circumstance.
3.The temp. Is alot harder for a hen to regulate without a solid bottom.

She didn't hatch any. In fact a few days after my last post, we got a storm! Blew the nest down. Every egg that hit the ground was rotten. I think she may have learned from it. She is setting again in a plastic barrel just above ground level. Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.
You're still with us!!!!
Thank you for sharing. We were waiting like broody hens.

Sorry I haven't been able to get in awhile. The takeaway from this hen trying to set in a squirrel nest is as follows:

2.Squrrils fix and maintain their nest not really possible for a hen in that circumstance.

She didn't hatch any. In fact a few days after my last post, we got a storm! Blew the nest down. Every egg that hit the ground was rotten. I think she may have learned from it. She is setting again in a plastic barrel just above ground level. Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.
Thanks for the update! I was curious what had happened.

Poor thing, well now she knows not to lay in squirrel nests!

Probably for the better, the chicks most likely would have died from falling off. She would have had to get them down at some point which im not quite sure how she would do.

Also, the nest could have been fragile and old. Hence why it blew off.

Sad that the nest blew down, but goodish the eggs were rotten. Thanks for coming back to update us!

Thanks for the update.

I wish her better luck with this more sensibly-located batch.

Thanks for sharing what happened . And please give a successful update within a 3 weeks . ☺️

I have a hen setting about 40 foot up a tree. She somehow decided she liked an abandoned squirrel nest. Has anyone else seen this before? I have a video of her going back on the nest but I'm not sure how to share it. I figured it out. Here is the link.

She sat in a barrel just off the ground!

Update!!!!!!!!
Her decision to set closer to normal, paid off!!! She hatched nine of the cutest chicks....

Attachments

• IMG_20220618_173402776.jpg
    IMG_20220618_173402776.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220618_173333304.jpg
    IMG_20220618_173333304.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220618_173328439.jpg
    IMG_20220618_173328439.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220618_173333304.jpg
    IMG_20220618_173333304.jpg