Never seen baby chicks so excited!!

Rooster61

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Michigan
I just gave my 4-6 day old baby chicks their first treat egg yoke since I brought them home 2 days ago and they have been none stop eating it...almost fighting over it...so cute to see them eat so well at such a young age!!

We have 6 Dominiques and they are almost 3 weeks old. I have been wondering what kind of treats would be good for them. I have tried spinach (finely chopped) from my garden but they did not care for it. Today I tried soft (steamed) red beet, which I had chopped up as well. They seem to actually like it.
What else is good for them?
I see many people feeding chicks scrambled egg. I might try that for protein. Any other suggestions? We are totally new to chickens but are LOVING the little peepers. Never thought this could be so fun and entertaining.

yes indeed, it's very cute to watch the skirmish and scuffaful that ensues when the rest discover one has something interesting.

I change things around in their lil enviroment on purpose just to watch the frackass it causes.

Quote:
Egg yolk huh? Interesting. You cook it and smash it up?

I like the oatmeal idea too.

They love small crickets, we get them from the feed store, meal worms, small worms I dig from the compost pile. Grass from the yard, and strawberries so far. they did get left over scrambled eggs last weekend and couldn't get enough of them.

some newbies on here.............
welcome-byc.gif

YYZ, Yes, I hard boiled some eggs and broke the yoke up and they just loved it.
MsMoss, you are right...as soon as one found it...it was all about everyone running to see what she had found...very funny to watch 6 5 day old baby chicks fighting for a spot to eat
lau.gif

I'm in the process of making them a new brooder, and should be done in a couple hours so I can post pictures. There's just not enough room in the $20 brooder box we bought at TSC when we got the chicks.

How long are they in the brooder? I keep my chickens outside, they hatch outside and mom guards them.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom