New 12 week old bantam had a bloody stool

bohok

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2016
Hi there. I just acquired 3 little 12 week old bantam Cochin pullets from another backyard chicken owner. There is one that is TINY. Like almost half the size of the others. She was part of a flock of 7 that we got and shared with a friend so I didn’t notice right away or I would have asked the seller about her. Anyway.

They are all currently in my little quarantine set up, and seem very happy and active. They all immediately started dust bathing like crazy when I put them in their run, and are vocal and eating and drinking and running around. I checked them for mites and lice and didn’t find anything.

This morning we noticed that the little one had a red stool. I’ve attached a photo.

Her behavior doesn’t indicate she’s sick but I do wonder if her size + this is indicative of a problem. Or perhaps this was just from the extreme stress of being moved and maybe lots of being squished by the bigger hens or a change in food or something? Thoughts?

My first fear was coccinosis but I’ve seen and treated that illness before and she has zero signs of being sick. We have no vets here locally that I’ve found that will even see chickens, except one that charges 100+ and that’s way out of my budget for a chicken. 😅

Attachments

• IMG_9311.jpeg
    IMG_9311.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 18
I would treat for coccidiosis, because if she gets sick, maybe it’s too late.
The smaller one is probably less strong.

Consult your friend who has the other chicks too if she has noticed anything.

Update: haven’t seen any more red stools beyond the first, I gave them all some garlic/ACV/oregano just in case but everyone seems happy and healthy :)

Back
Top Bottom