New addition on our 11 month old unfinshed coop

No we just added the new high roost. we did fluff up the floor a lot. some come down to a lower roost using the tree limbs. others fly to a lower roost then down and some come lengthwise straight down. last weekend when the floor was bare we noticed some chicks limping. after we added a lot more straw the all seem to of healed up and figured out a safer way to come down. last night all the birds were on the high roost. today no limping at all just a lot of happy chickens.
I too miss the view all attached pictures.

Scott

marans welsummer chicks.jpg

Our 5 FBCM AND 2 Welsummer joined the hens in the coop today. TheY are in the fenced in section at the back of the coop.
Scott

Edit to above. The 3 week old Marans and welsummers are only in the coop during the day. we are dropping to mid 60s at night and the were cold around dusk tonight.
so until I figure out a what a hen cave is or Samantha gets time to build one( I am too busy) .Then we will just bring them in till there fully feathered.

Scott

I think you may be referring to the heating pad Cave, where you shape wire in a hump and put a heating pad on it that does not go off automatically. The chicks use it when they need it. Blooie has a thread about that.

I think you may be referring to the heating pad Cave, where you shape wire in a hump and put a heating pad on it that does not go off automatically. The chicks use it when they need it. Blooie has a thread about that.

Yes that is exactly what I'm thinking we need. I have a fenced are in our coop 40 sq foot. Its great for introducing new flock mates.

Scott

I figure out a what a hen cave
Not fond of most of the 'cave' configurations, most are not adjustable for height and have too many things wrapped around them creating trap points. Many folks don't understand that the chicks need to be able to touch their backs to the heat pad and 'cave' infers a single egress point which can trap chicks that need to get away from the heat.

About the same time that concept got 'hot'(haha!) I was devising a 'pseudo brooder plate' using a heating pad. It works really great, but they do have capacity constraints.
Took several iterations before I got one that is easy and safe to use and am still tweaking the adjustable leg attachments. Biggest issue for me was being able to easily lift/tip the thing up(and back down) to take a look underneath for chicks in distress or dead without reassembling the thing. I fuss a lot during design/build, but hate to fuss while a thing is in use. Fuss first, Flow later.

I still use a heat lamp those first few days, just during the day, to make sure they are all moving/eating/drinking/pooping OK. It sure is nice to have it dark and quiet at night, not to mention the removal of the fire risk that is inherent with using heat lamps.

Whew! Am quite verbose this morning. Apologies to those offended.

I got around to painting the patched walls where we took down the old wall. I have it all prepped to kick the hens out of it tomorrow long enough to get the floor painted. With the temps rising again It should dry in a couple hours at the most but maybe a little longer cause humidity is climbing back up.

And some pics.............................

coop61.jpg

coop60.jpg

coop59.jpg

coop58.jpg

Scott

I decided not to clean up all the floor but to only touch up where the wall and sand box was removed. I cleaned enough to brush the bare areas onto clean coat of old blackjack 57. Put it on thick and should be dry soon.

20170904_162952.jpg

20170904_163028.jpg

Boy the hens were sure Po'd at me for kicking them out today. Megan our 6 yr old loved the fall Easter egg hunt.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom