New addition on our 11 month old unfinshed coop

Quote:
We did. but I let it go down since we sell a lot at different stores in Branson MO. I went to put it back up 6 months after it went down and godaddy had got rid of all my pages. I currently trying to get my son to build us one but no luck so far. We use to see a lot of sales around xmas time.

Scott

Last edited:
Ok so today was go time. we need the chicken out of the house they are almost 9 weeks olds.

So first thing today was putting temp wall in place. Installing hardwire over the low vent spot. and a little touch up on paint here and there.

So here is the pics...................................

And last one. Our new flock the hens,1 road island red rooster and the easter egger rooster. Dang 2 rooster and now before I get time to baton and build flower box I see a rooster coop in my near future. It will be small.

There all on that temp roost for the night in there new house. Tomorrow I'll take down that tyvex covered plywood into the old section of coop and put up a dog panel so the old girls and new boys and girls can get to know each other better. Once there intergrated that wall will come out. We will also pull up paper and get a bed of chips or hay going on the floor. Heck geese may move in to there pen in there tomorrow. I personally cant wait to get the geese out in there own enclose.

Scott

So today I got the some roost installed and a hanging place for the feed although I have a small watering unit on it now. I'll see what mess that makes in the morning. I got a lot of ideas on the roost from reading here at byc. I decided to use a 2x4 that I ripped to 2.5" wide and then screwed the cut off (just under 1") back on the bottom centered on the 2x. I rounded the top and bottom edges of the 1.5x 2.5" roost boards. I set the roost at 5 foot and 3 foot from the floor. I did however suspend them from the ceiling and back wall. There space 12" from wall and 24" from wall. The 2 roost are 14' of roost space. I pulled down the plywood covered in tyvek and installed 2 dog panels and a 2x6 so the old girls can see the geese and the new girls and boys. Funny thing was the geese just walked right in there cage off area like they knew it was there's. Just got back from checking on everyone and the all made it up to the top roost for tonight.
Some pics looking in from outside................

Btw what the recommend roost space 1' per bird? of course plus a landing or docking un docking area?
Scott

Wow Scott you are motoring right along. It looks fantastic!

You wife is a superstar! I was proud of myself for building my coop with no experience with tools and construction and your wife does this for a living? Awesome!

Btw what the recommend roost space 1' per bird? of course plus a landing or docking un docking area?
Scott
Yes, 1' per bird is a pretty good 'rule of thumb'......some go for more, some go for less, depending on the configuration.
They'll sleep on much less, especially when it's cold.
But need room to spread wings when landing as they fly up as well as shuffling for position during the nightly RoostTimeRumble.
It will be interesting here to see if they jump from the higher roost to the lower before going for the floor, or just fly all the way.

Is that a waterer on the end of that long chain?
It's gonna have a big swing, good thing your floor is water proof :D

I got around to cutting some baton the other day. stained it and hung some on the original side east and west walls. I also finally got the dividers in the nesting box and the hens looked lost. I tried out some chips ,straw and hay. So far it looks like the prefer the chips. For fun I'm switching the bedding around tomorrow.

front nesting box wall...........................

back side of original coop baton installed.......................................

Also for anyone wanting to know here is a side profile of the roost after 1 ripped 1.5" of a 2x4 cut 30 degree off corners sanding all edges and mounted the cutoff section to the bottom.

Scott

Also for anyone wanting to know here is a side profile of the roost after 1 ripped 1.5" of a 2x4 cut 30 degree off corners sanding all edges and mounted the cutoff section to the bottom.

Scott
Love section/profile views, looks nice.
Not sure why you needed to rip it down...I just use plain ole 2x4's, 80grit orbital sanding down any sharp spots/edges.
Course if I had access to the tools you do, I mighta went that way too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom