New addition on our 11 month old unfinshed coop

Quote: I will still have the eve;s venting into something like a register or louvered style , gable vents (there framed in and will be a louvered style),4 widows (in old coop ), other poop and vent in back (framed)and a cupola. I don't see how that any different with a ceiling or not? Other than the vents into the eves will be near the eves and hot air would travel up the cavities created by the rafters. I wouldn't think that would radiate heat real bad threw 1'4" plywood but then there would always be the louvered vents in the gables that will be within 1.5" of the ceiling. Also to explain in the last picture you see this 10' wide addition. The rafter were bird mouth notched to keep the rood the same as the 8' wide area of the coop not pictured. This creates a almost flat spot that comes out @ 10-12". In each cavity I can cut a hole in the ceiling and install a louvered cover similar to a register vent. I had only planed to do every other hole but you comment has me worried now so I guess ever one could have a vent in the cavities.

I really just want to be able to hose stuff of once a year or maybe every other year. Then say in 5 years if I need to touch up paint, I could see that and it would be easy.

do you really still think its a bad idea?

Scott
Hmm ....thought I answered this, must have not gone thru.
I do not think 'hosing down' a wooden chicken coop is ever a good idea.
I would even hesitate to even use much (if any) liquid...but then I am not much of a 'cleaner'.... or painter.
Wouldn't want any liquids seeping in where it couldn't dry out thoroughly.

My coop floor and poop boards are covered in single sheets of vinyl, poop scrapes off easily, once dry, when needed.
The rest I don't worry about...ramps, roosts, and edges of poop boards are raw lumber and stained...but they get scraped off pretty regularly.

1 blue and 1 blackish blue are blue fauvaca. 2 blues and 2 white/blue splash are blue americanas. there all from my pet chicken and I love them. I'll be back to get more from them once I get some black copper marans. oh they are americanas not easter eggers.
Scott

Not to get off topic but the whole reason for the expansion was some new birds I ordered. Here a few more on them.
as pictured....................
Blue Favaucana (Blackish) Rhode Island
Easter Egger Blue Ameraucana white splash
Rhode Island red Easter Egger

Blue Favaucana (Blue) in left corner Blue Ameraucana (Blue) Right

Partridge Olive Egger (Grace Jones. The only bird to have a name so far)......

Scott

Last edited:
Sweet!
Where did you get your Ameraucana?
That OE looks like they used Crested Cream Legbar stock....Grace Jones, haha!

all the 6 week old ones came from mpc. So the blue ameraucana are suppost to be that and not easter eggers.. they have changed so much from the fluff balls. so I'm looking forward to see them mature.

Ya grace jones and the other one is mrs T.

Last edited:
Ok so I was able to get some siding up on the front of the coop today. Well at least all the 10"wide 1"thick Spruce board up. This being the first board and baton That I have ever install. I figure out right away that I would be left with slots between the board where the baton sits on them at the top and bottom of the structure. I thought about rat guard but thought that a1.5" wide x 1" thick board that lays at the top and bottom. Then the 10" boards butt to this and when trim and baton nailed up this closes those gaps. In the picture I have not closed the gap around the windows yet but I have at the top of the structure and what will be the top of the flower box.

Scott

Looking great Scott! Love the board and baton look. My DH wanted me to do that too since our shed is board and baton but its a ton of extra work and went with simple T1-11 siding. Love the green trim on the windows too. Moving along nicely.
thumbsup.gif

Looking great Scott! Love the board and baton look. My DH wanted me to do that too since our shed is board and baton but its a ton of extra work and went with simple T1-11 siding. Love the green trim on the windows too. Moving along nicely.
thumbsup.gif
I hear you. See I was sitting on @4 spruce logs from Colorado (spruce don't grow here).We did some bartering with a local log cabin builder around us and got the 4 logs and 8 half logs. So I have the logs.. So I put that with this.................................

And a whole lot of time. And end result so far is a lot of 10" boards. All the 10" boards are up on the back of the coop.and I got the flower box underway, about half done with it before I ran out of light. I just need to cut a few more 10" boards for the flower box and then I move to corner trim and then my smallest material the baton.
I love being able to take raw lumber and build with it. A true 2x4" is a like a mini beam compared to the 1.5x3.5" stud. Of course it would have taken way too many trees to cut all the 2x4 used in our coop.lol

Scott

Back
Top Bottom