New additions (Sebright, Cemani cross, Polish etc)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BASMP, Sep 23, 2019.

1. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    What lovely looking hens. I'm not sure on the breeds or genders but that seems to have already been covered. Do you already have any chickens? If so a period of about 4 weeks quarantine is recommended to observe for any signs of illness. If not you should still keep an eye on them which I'm sure you will. I'm not sure you can get it in Greece but I give mine something called battles poultry tonic that helps with feather loss and increased appetite. They do look nice and I especially like the polish. :)

WVduckchick, Pork Pie, BASMP and 2 others like this.
  2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Lovely looking hens. Please try to bear in mind when reading peoples posts here that many will judge by what they know. Chickens that have free ranged, or been farm kept in other countries for example, don't tend to look like the overweight, washed and groomed chickens you will see pictures of on this forum.
    Quarantine is always a good idea when introducing newcomers. Those who know what they are talking about recommend a minimum of 4 weeks complete isolation. It's not always practicable.

WVduckchick, Pork Pie, BASMP and 2 others like this.
  3. BASMP

BASMP Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    One of the two was without a shell. It was probably from the stress as I read..No problem next days..The rate was normal

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    perchie.girl, Pork Pie and CCUK like this.
  4. BASMP

BASMP Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    Thank you very much for the kind advices! I'll search for this product or something similar! ;-)

perchie.girl, Shadrach and CCUK like this.
  5. BASMP

BASMP Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    Thank you! Yes, I think you re exactly on point and I thought it was obvious that they mostly free rannge.

Not always practicable but it's necessary, I agree.

6. BASMP

BASMP Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    I'd like to hear of what do you think about their breeds, though..so I can figure them out.

perchie.girl, CCUK and Shadrach like this.
  7. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    Your welcome. This is what I use Battles Poultry Drink - 500ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003XEI8E0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j9rIDbZZEND18 I use it for my rescue hens to help give them a boost when I first get them. And when the rest are moulting. Its basically just vitamins and minerals but It really helped mine improve condition. I'm sure your girls will be fine, they just need time to settle in.

perchie.girl, Shadrach and BASMP like this.
  8. BASMP

BASMP Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    Oh thanks! I'll check it out! Yes a little time will be needed but I'll think they'll be ok! I'll keep you updated!

CCUK and Shadrach like this.
  9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I feed the chickens here some fish, two, or three times a week; about a palm full for say 4 chickens so not lots. They do free range but it can get very dry here, a bit like Greece, and the fish in addition to their normal feed I believe helps make up for the lack of bugs in dry weather. You can see the difference in foraging behaviour after it's rained.:lol:
    Something like cooked sardines will provide oil and vitamins.

BASMP, perchie.girl and CCUK like this.
  10. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    Personally I don't havent had any of those breeds but I would say that if your wanting friendly hens that you can pick up easily, just spend time with them and let them get to know you and trust you. They are quick learners and will soon associate you with feed! I have heard that sebrights can be flighty but that's not to say they are all the same. I have some white leghorn hens and I cant get near them. When I do hold them they are very calm and don't struggle about though. If you are looking to get a cockerals, watch out for the polish. He will pull the feathers out on her head. I have a araucana that has only just started to regrow her head feathers from my cockeral. I had to rehome the cockeral.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: