New additions (Sebright, Cemani cross, Polish etc)

BASMP

Chirping
Aug 18, 2019
Hello everyone, Recently I made some new additions to my flock. Any help identifying the breed and sex will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1. Bantam pullet, around 4 months old. She is a great forager and a very active bird. She has a very Sebright-ish look to her. What breed is she?

IMG_20190919_175350.jpg IMG_20190919_182001.jpg IMG_20190920_175934.jpg

2. A Polish chicken. I think its a pullet. What do you think?

20190920_115436.jpg 20190920_125200.jpg

3. Around 2 years old hen. I purchased it of a farm that had Cemani stock but shes not a pure bred Cemani. Altough she is black feathered, has black legs, beak and wattles, her comb has a little red in it and her skin isnt dark as Cemani's skin is. What do you think? She is a great layer, btw. She layed 2 eggs during the 4 hours trip from the farm to home, even though she is in moulting mode as you can see :)

20190920_113207.jpg IMG_20190921_120204.jpg IMG_20190922_155948.jpg

4. 4 months old pullet.Quite large sized. Her coloration on neck reminds of Wyandotte's color pattern. What breed do you think she is?
20190920_124606.jpg 20190920_123950.jpg

5. Around 8 months old Sebright hen. The one thing thats got me wondering are the tail feathers that arent the Sebright coloration as the rest of the body. Could she be a mix? Nevertheless, a great hen, very calm, friendly and docile. I'd also like to know if her size is usual for Sebright hens or its more on the heavier scale?
(Pics 3-4 Size comparison next to 4 months old Polish pullet and 2 years old Cemani mix hen)
IMG_20190920_175952.jpg 20190920_124727.jpg 20190920_125204.jpg IMG_20190922_152445.jpg

6. Polish 4 months old. Is it a hen or a cockerel?
20190920_124615.jpg 20190920_122516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_120209.jpg
    IMG_20190921_120209.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 25
1. Sebright mix
2. Golden laced polish
3. Cemani mix
4. Easter Egger, likely
5. Golden Sebright pullet. Hens are only hens if they over a year old.
6. Buff laced Polish pullet.

I don't ever advise getting older birds from some other property. All of these birds except the 8 month old Sebright look visibly ill. Did you inspect them before you purchased them?

I see..the only "old" chicken is the 3rd one and and I was aware doing this. What visible signs do you see to make this assumption? I have them for 2 weeks now and they look and act healthy. Some of them I have them for more than weeks, btw. I inspect them with the help that has more knowledge, yes.

*5 Hens are hens when they lay an egg..so since this one is laying that's what I call her :)

I see..the only "old" chicken is the 3rd one and and I was aware doing this. What visible signs do you see to make this assumption? I have them for 2 weeks now and they look and act healthy. Some of them I have them for more than weeks, btw. I inspect them with the help that has more knowledge, yes.

*5 Hens are hens when they lay an egg..so since this one is laying that's what I call her :)
No, hens are females over a year old. Laying eggs does not change that. You can google it if you please.

What country are you in?

The missing tail feathers, back damage, shriveled combs with black on them and ruffled feathers are all indicators of diseased birds.

No, hens are females over a year old. Laying eggs does not change that. You can google it if you please.

What country are you in?

The missing tail feathers, back damage, shriveled combs with black on them and ruffled feathers are all indicators of diseased birds.

Ok. I see. But what I was meaning is since she is sexually mature, can lay an egg and reproduce she is a hen. But techhnically yes, she's officially a hen after 1 year old.

Greece.

I don't think you are on point on that last one and certainly I hope you arent. By back damage you mean the 3rd one but as I mentioned she's moulting, black on comb due to Cemani heritage. Black on the combs (and as far as I can tell they are not shriveled) on 1 and 4 are genetics, they have them since i purchased them and havent changed at all. Tail feathers on 2 and 6 gone missing during the transport, unfortunately. Feathers look ruffled on 3rd and 6th ones just on these particular photos. They look and act very healthy, fortunately! :)

Ok. I see. But what I was meaning is since she is sexually mature, can lay an egg and reproduce she is a hen. But techhnically yes, she's officially a hen after 1 year old.

Greece.

I don't think you are on point on that last one and certainly I hope you arent. By back damage you mean the 3rd one but as I mentioned she's moulting, black on comb due to Cemani heritage. Black on the combs (and as far as I can tell they are not shriveled) on 1 and 4 are genetics, they have them since i purchased them and havent changed at all. Tail feathers on 2 and 6 gone missing during the transport, unfortunately. Feathers look ruffled on 3rd and 6th ones just on these particular photos. They look and act very healthy, fortunately! :)
I ended up gathering you are in Greece. Your breeds may be different over there.

I hope they are actually healthy. You should be quarantining them for at least 2 more weeks before putting them with any birds that you already have.

Thank you and thanks for the advices. They are very welcome. You mean different that american breeds or other european breeds? Do you have knowledge in greek poultry?

Last edited:
Thank you and thanks for the advices. They are very welcome. Yu mean different that american breeds or other european breeds? Do you have knowledge in greek poultry?
Different than American breeds. I have little to no knowledge of what non commercial breeds are available in Greece.

Back
Top Bottom