New Additions!!

So what makes a silkie duck silkie? I've been looking at some pictures and they look like normal ducks! Are they softer, like silk?

I posted pics of mine, see the feathers along the bottom of the breast and legs, they are whispy and longer. The duck is also a bantam making it ultra super adorable. My ducks both have the silkie gene meaning all offspring will be silkie, not all silkie ducks have the feathering but may produce offspring with the feathering. There is a better explanation on Holderreads site.

As far as I can tell, they just have that silky, fluffy look to their feathers, mostly on the edge, and they are on the smaller side. We only have one Indian Runner and several Muscovies at the moment, so I am not yet an expert.. Very excited to learn though!

Also, the man of the house just informed me we will also be picking up 2 Muscovy hens tomorrow as well!! I have been praying for this since recent tragedies lead to a gender imbalance in the Muscovey flock (and our lonely Indian Runner), so it is a wonderful surprise.

Leaving bright and early tomorrow to bring our new friends home, can't wait for naming and photo-shoots!
pop.gif

They've arrived!!!!

So,the surprise Muscovy Hens did not work out
rant.gif
But.. that is a negative story so I will avoid it for now. ANYWAY...

We arrived a bit after 10am to Holderread Waterfowl Farm & Preservation Center, which was BEAUTIFUL and extremely impressive. (And, honestly, a bit intimidating!) Of course, they were very nice and full of wonderful information and had the some of the most impressive Indian Runners, Silkies, ohhh my goodness, beautiful winged creatures of all kinds
love.gif
(or so it seemed) all on my DREAM property and... wow...WOW! What I want to be when I grow up.

Ahem.. SO:

We have now welcomed "A Couple" (male/female) of Blue Fawn Pencil Indian Runners (am I saying that right??) as well as a Black Indian Runner Drake and a Blue Indian Runner Hen. Also, our first little silkies (*insert obnoxious squealing here*), one male and three hens, all (as my Valentine's day present/surprise) show quality!!! My BF is a good man and knows the way to my heart.
thumbsup.gif

Now, I have ZERO experience showing any birds and only experience spoiling them in the most natural/organic ways possible, so this means I would LOVE any advice that any of you respectable, knowledgeable BYC ladies/gents/children/etc would like to share with me. PLEASE. I am a blank slate.
idunno.gif

Anyway, we could not get any pictures in the excitement, but will post some soon!

YAYYYYY!! Thank you all for sharing in my joy, all of your enthusiasm and advice is greatly appreciated!!!
ya.gif

They've arrived!!!!

So,the surprise Muscovy Hens did not work out
rant.gif
But.. that is a negative story so I will avoid it for now. ANYWAY...

We arrived a bit after 10am to Holderread Waterfowl Farm & Preservation Center, which was BEAUTIFUL and extremely impressive. (And, honestly, a bit intimidating!) Of course, they were very nice and full of wonderful information and had the some of the most impressive Indian Runners, Silkies, ohhh my goodness, beautiful winged creatures of all kinds
love.gif
(or so it seemed) all on my DREAM property and... wow...WOW! What I want to be when I grow up.

Ahem.. SO:

We have now welcomed "A Couple" (male/female) of Blue Fawn Pencil Indian Runners (am I saying that right??) as well as a Black Indian Runner Drake and a Blue Indian Runner Hen. Also, our first little silkies (*insert obnoxious squealing here*), one male and three hens, all (as my Valentine's day present/surprise) show quality!!! My BF is a good man and knows the way to my heart.
thumbsup.gif

Now, I have ZERO experience showing any birds and only experience spoiling them in the most natural/organic ways possible, so this means I would LOVE any advice that any of you respectable, knowledgeable BYC ladies/gents/children/etc would like to share with me. PLEASE. I am a blank slate.
idunno.gif

Anyway, we could not get any pictures in the excitement, but will post some soon!

YAYYYYY!! Thank you all for sharing in my joy, all of your enthusiasm and advice is greatly appreciated!!!
ya.gif
HIP HIP HOORAY
wee.gif
So happy for you!! Congrats on the new additions to your family. I can't wait to see pics. I've been eying up the Runners on Holderread's site and almost put an order in for a few breeds yesterday. Logic won out and I did not click the send button on my email. haha Maybe I'll have more courage on Friday when it's payday.
gig.gif

Do enjoy those babies of yours!

Finally some pictures!!! All of our new birds are "quarantined" or penned separately for now (25ftx20ft), but soon they will be able to roam the acreage with the other birds. Our newbies are 2 male and 3 female Indian Runners; 1 male and 3 female Silkies. The silkies are especially timid and ran to hide in the darkest corners of the littlest coop as soon as I came out with a camera, but I did my best! The Indian Runners just amaze me, they are so much more distinguished than our hatchery Runners! (Whom I still love just as much, of course!!) Just a reminder, these are my first silkies and my first show quality birds, so I would love any advice or tips or information any one has about them! In fact, I am always happy to hear any general advice about any of the flock we have!! Thank you!
big_smile.png

Sorry these are not the greatest pictures, there will be a lot more in my default album soon. My computer does not want to post multiple photos and I am too impatient to go through the process too many more times, haha.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom