New Arrivals

First, you'll want to check the Rhode Island Reds for mites/lice, make sure they're healthy. When I bring in new birds I quarantine them for two weeks, just to make sure they're healthy and won't spread any diseases to my flocks.

Integrating chickens is an interesting subject (for me at least xD), and I've found the best way to go about that is not to simply plop in the birds with the main flock. In your case, this may be fine, but I prefer not too whenever I can avoid it. It's stressful, but the upside is that after about two weeks everything is back to normal..unless they're really getting picked on.

The way I integrate birds is to let my flock free range, and I purposefully move my 'new birds' cage nearby so they'll meet each other thru the chicken wire. For roosters, this is prolly not the best idea. But it works for hens.
And after a week or so of meeting thru the chicken wire, I let the new birds free range with the flock. Sometimes I'll leave out the roo and just let the hens integrate..it depends I guess on your instinct or your birds personalities.

I make sure to be present during integration, and I think through the birds which may give the new gals trouble or what not. Just try to think thru the situation. When integrating birds I DON'T intervene. If you see them fighting, it's called pecking order, and they need to establish that. You intervening would not only prolong the problem, but cause confusion as well.

The only reason I would intervene is if they're killing the new birds. Viciously. That doesn't happen often, but sometimes it does. I doubt it will happen with your girls though, good chance it won't. By the word 'killing' I mean drawing A LOT of blood and enjoying it, and looking as if they won't stop till the new gals are dead.

If you integrate the way I suggested, you most likely will have little to no problems. Don't be startled or concerned if the lead hen walks up and picks a rough and tough fight with one of your RIR's, that's normal. Once, I integrated a roo, and he picked fight with the lead hen. That fight lasted about ten seconds, and they drew a nice amount of blood, but they were fighting for dominance. Some dominance fights cannot be avoided, just sit tight and keep an eye on them though. Don't intervene unless the bird is seriously dying.

:) Welcome to BYC.

Here's a vid:

Last edited:
thanks,i,ve done what you said and segregated the new birds and they seem happy enough to get aquainted through the wire.I,ll give it a week or so and try the next stage, regards.

Your welcome, and happy integrating.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom