new babie chicks:)

sarah41374

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Hi, so glad I found this site! i have fallen in love with chickens!! My mother just got me 25 new babies from efowl.com They were shipped yesterday and arrived today. Although it is warm here in Upstate NY I didnt want to chance them out in the coop with my "big" chickens...I have them in a cage that was used for guinea pigs...plastic bottom..cage top. I got end rolls from a local news paper and lined the bottom of the cage instead of using wood chips..hoping this will be ok..I was thinking it woud be more sanitary as I can change it several times a day. They all arrives very happy healthy and hungry this morning. Even though my house is a very comfortable 75+ degrees I was wondering if they still need a light for warmth? Also wondered if
i could put them out in the grass with the cage over top when it gets warmer tomorrow..mid 80's...When will I be able to put them out with my big chickens? Will they hurt them if they are not theirs? I know lots of questions! Thank you! Sarah:D

Welcome
big_smile.png
I think you want to use something not slippery for them, like wood shavings. Everything I have been reading said no to newspaper. I cant wait to see pics
big_smile.png
Im pretty sure they do need a light as well. They need a spot that is around 95 degrees, so they can warm up if they need to.

If they are a couple days old, they need to have a lamp. The temperature for that young is 95. Reduce the heat 5 degrees every week. You can take them outside after a couple of weeks but make sure you supervise. Make sure that each chick has enough space so they won't peck the crap out of each other. Do NOT put them in with the big chickens yet. When they are 6 weeks old make a mini coop within your bigger coop to keep them in until they are the same size as your hens and stop making "baby" sounds. After that you can integrate them. That way everyone can see each other but not touch each other. If mix them too early, your big ones will kill the little ones. When you finally let the little ones out, there will be the "pecking order" (the first day I let mine out one of my hens grabbed a baby by the neck feathers and swung them 360 degrees around) but do not interfere unless there is blood. Your chickens may be nice and sweet to you but mixing flocks can be complicated. I have life experience that it can be done but its shaky in the beginning. I hear its easier if you free range but I don't and it still worked. Good luck and enjoy your babies!

Ok..thanks guys! I do have a second cage that I could split them up for more room. when they got a little bigger was going to make a bigger area for them out in the coop. I wasnt going to put them in the coop with the big chickens...they would have been in the cage..but thought twice and would rather keep an eye on them in the house. As for the paper..they seem to be ok with it..not slipping around..but if i notice them have a problem I will change it. I do have a heat lamp that I used this winter for the coop..will that be too much? its pretty big or would a light bulb do the trick? Guess i just have to see how hot it gets in there.. Also when its hot outside/inside..90's..will they still need the light?

Different question..my brother found 2 chickens in his garden last night and I went and got them..because he had no idea who they belonged to and didnt want the coyotes getting them..they are young ones...prob born in April or May..and I am thinking either one or both might be roosters..apart from crowing..which I havent heard them do, how else can I tell if they are hens or roosters..they both have large combs that hang over..Other than each of them having one wing clipped(GRRRR..this made me very angry)Why do people do that??. They are very friendly and havent bothered my other 9 hens and one rooster. Thanks again for your help!

ok..i have one little girl that isnt doing so well..i have isolated within the cage in a shoe box with rice bags for warm and her own food and water..she is smaller than the others by quite a bit. she seems to be having trouble with her legs...very unsteady on them..and i have isolated her because the other chicks smother her and walk all over her..any suggestions? i dont like her lonely but dont want her getting trampled to death..she isnt eating much of anything and i have been giving her water with a spoon..would pedialite hurt her? I dont want to see her die but dont know what else to do..
I know i cant save them all and was bound to have one out of 25 not make it..but i dont want to give up on her just yet! please help!!

If I were you I would put her back in with the others as soon as she gets her legs under her good!! Because you dont want her getting to cold!! And it probably wouldnt hurt her to put her in with the others!! Inless they are being mean and pecking!!! So lad you found the site!! I found it a couple of months ago!! And trust me you will be addicted to it by tonight!! Haha I am!! And people here are very very helpful!! And you lucky dog!! I wish my mom would buy me chicks!! But she doesnt really like them!! Haha!! And
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Congrats on the new chicks! Mine are 6 weeks old and I can't believe how fast they grew. I had the almost the same situation as you, I had a chick that wasn't doing well. I put her in the shipping box they came and put her back in the brooder - half under the light, half out from under it so she could move away from the heat if she needed to. You said you have pedialyte - that should work fine, just dip her beak into it and make sure she has some food where she is. Good luck!

I would suggest paper towels or white bath towels over shavings for the first few days and then just shavings. Newsprint (even without ink) is a bit slippery for little legs, and they can get "spraddle leg" if they slip. The bath towels work, but they will be ruined (stained), so use ones you don't need for people. Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom