new babies coming!!

tarheel4lif3

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 4, 2007
I got some new baby chicks coming pretty soon. Anyone have any advice for me to prepare them to come. This is my first time ordering from a hatchery. any kind of help would be awesome!!!
big_smile.png

you need a brooder area, (rubbermaid plastic box, cardboard box, etc.) heat lamp, feeder, waterer, thermometer.
Set the brooder up at least a day or two before the chicks arrive so your temps can stabilize, temp needs to be 95 degrees, then decrease by 5 degrees each week until temp is 70 degrees (decrease by raising light source away from chicks).
They should be fed chick starter which can be found at any farm store.
Dip their beaks in the water so they know what it is and where it is.
Put some pine bedding in the brooder area, cover with paper towels for a few days until they know where their food is.

Hope this helps.

And watch their little butts for pasty butt syndrome, this can be fixed by wetting down the area and wiping off with damp paper towel.
Good Luck and have fun watching how fast they grow. If you have a basement that's where I would put them, or in a warm building away from the cold.

Stay on top of the pasty butts. It can become a full time job for a little while if you have quite a few. You will want to start cleaning their rear ends starting on the second day. I saw someone on another thread a few days ago said they use a q-tip and dip it in olive oil and wipe and coat the butt to help keep the area clean and help the poo from sticking, so that is what I am trying this time with my new chickies that came in yesterday.

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom