New Babies & Food/Water Location

acrididae

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Yesterday, we were greeted with little peeps from underneath a broody hen in our coop. I plan on letting her raise them, integrated with the flock. I'm wondering, however, if I should bring food and water into the nesting box, or if their brood mama, when ready, will take them outside to eat eat and drink. If so, when should we expect them to emerge from the coop? We have a treadle feeder, so I've setup a set of food and water next to where the big girls eat.

Yesterday, we were greeted with little peeps from underneath a broody hen in our coop. I plan on letting her raise them, integrated with the flock. I'm wondering, however, if I should bring food and water into the nesting box, or if their brood mama, when ready, will take them outside to eat eat and drink. If so, when should we expect them to emerge from the coop? We have a treadle feeder, so I've setup a set of food and water next to where the big girls eat.
Hi, last year our broody hatched out six chicks too! The first one or two days I think they should be fine!! When chicks are born they have an egg sac which feeds them the first three days, so the chicks technically would be fine! But depending on the weather and the hen I would still put out some food and water just so that she can teach them and get what she needs to! So it can go both ways depending on what you want to do. Hope this helps!
- Jenessa

Back
Top Bottom