New Baby Chicks! But theres a problem HELP SPLAYEDISH LEG

Pics
I preface this with I too am a 1st time chick owner. With that, we recently got 5 chicks. 1 of which they weren’t going to sell us bc she had splayed leg. To the point she was only really walking on 1. I did research, I put brown parcel paper down over their shavings for stability and purchased pre-made hobbles. When they arrived I discovered I couldn’t get one on her. At the time she was 1 week old with tiny legs. I was terrified (she was terrified) I was going to hurt. So, I researched more. I came across a post by a kinesiologist that explained pros/cons of hobbling, the science behind the injury and the fix, and provided another option. Putting the chick in a pint glass for an hour at a time a day. Use paper towel or TP for nest like support but be sure the glass is big/small enough for the chick to keep her legs underneath. No option for the leg to splay. I did this for 2 days (2 hrs.) in a row and I kid you not, day 3 she was walking like there was never an issue. I do think modifying the floor contributed as well. Either way, She’s the biggest one in the brood now.

Good luck!
Thanks for the help but, the leg is now fine. I'm just worried about her breathing hard.

Back
Top Bottom