Hitte’sHens

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2018
Any advice would be so appreciated!!!

I have two 8 month goats
One doe and one weathered who I have raised since birth and bottle fed. (Spoiled brats and I LOVE them!! )

I have two new 8 day old twins I am bottle feeding inside. I took them out to meet my two goats today.

They all but tried to kill them. Horned them and my weather even horned ME!!!
Never happened before!

How do I go about introducing and having them except them into their herd?
I am really regretting getting more goats right now :(
Please help!

Let the youngsters get bigger before putting them together. Can fence next to bigger goats for awhile. Like chickens.

Goats butt things to play and to establish/maintain pecking orders. It's just what goats do, and is totally expected of them. Like chickens.

Let the odds even up as far as size goes and then let them figure out their pecking order... and don't let your wether get away with butting YOU!! that is the first sign of larger problems.... like with roosters.

Any advice would be so appreciated!!!

I have two 8 month goats
One doe and one weathered who I have raised since birth and bottle fed. (Spoiled brats and I LOVE them!! )

I have two new 8 day old twins I am bottle feeding inside. I took them out to meet my two goats today.

They all but tried to kill them. Horned them and my weather even horned ME!!!
Never happened before!

How do I go about introducing and having them except them into their herd?
I am really regretting getting more goats right now :(
Please help!

Backyard herds is a great place to post! I'm on there frequently and there are a lot of great experienced goat owners there!

Introductions take a lot of time and generally work best on neutral ground. Its a lot harder than just putting them together. 8 days old in my opinion is too young to start introductions but when you do start slow. Let them meet on neutral ground. There will be some establishing of pecking order regardless but it can take weeks or even months for animals to get use to each other.

I would make a small pen with your other goats, with their own food and water supplies. Once they are a few months older try letting the loose with the others.

Goats have a hierarchy and will beat each other up, it's normal goat socialization. Your new kids will be at the bottom for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom