New Baby Questions - Austrolorpes/ Golden Sex Links

Mine were out in the coop at two weeks with a heat lamp of course, and it was getting into the 30's and 40's here. I would at least put yours out during the day, to give them a little more space.

As long as it stays warm enough under the lamp, they would be fine in a draft free coop. I always aim for 100 degrees under the lamp, that way if they do get cold, they can get warm quickly. With 24 babies (if I read your post correctly) I would put up 2 lamps.

Hi There,

I'm in Texas as well (Central) and I've got quite a few chicks already 'outside'. I think some of the Northern members may not appreciate the warm Texas weather and outdoor chick rearing we're able to do becaue of it!
smile.png

I have 45 two week old Freedom Rangesr (a meat breed) out in my chicken coop, along with 8 three week old layer roosters. They're all doing great. No heat lamp on them, they cuddle and stay plenty warm at night. Actually, it was so warm yesterday when I went to feed last night they were all sprawled out falling asleep. It's just not cold enough here at night to cause problems anymore.

I also have 18 pullets (inlcuding 5 black Australorps)ranging in age from about 4 weeks up to about 7 in a chicken tractor in my yard. They've been out there since the youngest were a couple weeks old. They too are doing great and growing like mad. Already have foraging and grass eating down pat.

As others have said, don't treat their water unless they are showing signs of an illness. You are already feeding a medicated feed for cocci, putting meds in their water would be over kill. I personally don't feed medicated feeds and I've yet to have any probelms with cocci (knocking on wood).

Don't feel bad for asking questions! I've been raising chickens for years and still have tons of questions!!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom