1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New baby!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by howfunkyisurchicken, May 31, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    So I just made a post a little while ago about one of my 5 week olds coming up missing, and the neighbor whose turkey poults I was visiting when said chick went missing. My neighbor had 20 turkeys hatch over the last couple of days. She had 6 eggs that were left unhatched. My neighbors was just about to toss those eggs (which she said were cold and hadn't been sat on since yesterday when chick # 20 hatched), when she decided to open them to see if they were fertile. As it turns out- all 6 of them had been fertile, but 5 of them had quit sometime ago. She showed up on my porch in a panick (she opened it expecting to find dead chicks or rotten eggs and had knicked it a bit, it was bleeding pretty bad [​IMG] ). So, me being the sucker I am, took the egg and removed little bits of the shell with a pair of tweezers. This little one has been out of its shell for about an hour now and is really improving [​IMG] I was almost certain it was going to die not long after it was out of the shell
    [​IMG]
    So now my new baby is nestled in a towel taking a nap in my shirt. I tried putting it in the brooder, but its seen me and peeps constantly if I leave it. Guess I'll be raising another pocket baby. I raised a rooster in my pocket last spring and he's turned out to be the sweetest guy ever. Wonder if my turkey will love me as much? I've never had a brand new baby turk before, just from 8 weeks on (my neighbor purchased the parents of this baby from me last winter). He/she came from a Black Spanish hen X Royal Palm/Boubon Red tom. I think its adorable, and its helping me keep my mind off my missing chick!

2. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Aww what a cute little baby!

3. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    That's wonderful!!!So glad he's improving!! [​IMG] such an adorable little one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by