New bird is sick

tacothechicken

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Katy TX
Hey guys! So my new Figuritas arrived a few days ago and look awesome and are super chill. Except their breeder had them attend a show the days before he shipped them out and it appears the hen caught some thing :/ I looked in her mouth and along her throat and don't see any signs of canker visible, her poops look fine and solid, she's not fluffing up or acting off either. But she has a rattle when she breathes, almost like when someone has a bad cold and gets phlegm in their throat. Normslly i dont here it but if she gets work up or excited I can hear it clearly from feet away! The soonest vet appointment I could get was this coming Tuesday but any ideas what she couldve caught? I thought show birds had to be vet cleared but I dont know how the rattle couldve become so distinct over only 2 days if the cause was shipping stress.
What do you think it is and how best should I treat her before I take her to the vet? I have a heat mat optional for her on a low setting, and am giving her probiotics and vitamins in their water. thier poop was watery and green upon arrival but immediately thickend and went back to normal post proper feeding and watering. She has a distinct rattle when breathing heavily or deeply but I see no signs of fatigue or illbess otherwise :/ what is the most likely cause? It was cold when they were being shipped but not terribly so, only into the 45F range evening in late evenings.
20191114_070329~2.jpg

One other thing I just noticed. You said you just got these two. If and when I get new birds the first thing I do is put them on a course of 4in1. It may not always be necessary but I do it as part of there initial quarantine. If there is the start of anything that isn't showing any symptoms, it should nip it in the bud.

Back
Top Bottom