New Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Flock

Quote:
Well, I didn't see it as jumping you, just friendly advice. But either way I am happy to follow your thread. I have my first BLRW's and am eager to learn more about the breed. I'm not going to be breeding, Except if my flock turns out nice, I may give eggs to friends and family. But my babies are only a week old now, so I have a ways to go.
big_smile.png

Thanks Kelsey and Georgia. Kelsey I myself am not trying to sound rude (why I deleted the one post by me). I just get fustrated with this site at times. If someone had simply said I don't like that bird or that one fine. I stated why I breed the colors like I do and in my opinion was jumped for it. Any how it's done and over. Just hope to add pics on here from time to time as they grow. Have loved raising this breed the past 4 years and my last flock wasn't from Mr Paul's and from other birds I have seen from him i'm excited to see how these turn out.

Brandon

I don't use single combs either but I do use Blacks. I've found over the time that I've been breeding that a black laced roo over splash hens produces the pretty pigeon blue that most people are after.

Last edited:
Hey Katy,
Who are your lines from? Back when I first started with them I had read a few people saying they didnt like to use the blacks. So I never used them and for some odd reason started having more and more people want the splash. When I had the blacks hatch out in the very beginning no one wanted them. Just figured i'd fix that problem and have enjoyed breeding them blue to splash and splash to splash.

Brandon

Quote:
Well for the most part I consider them my line now because I've had them a while. The start of my birds came from Bill Braden, Sue Ozio, and the Foley line I added a couple of years ago. Just be aware (and you probably already are) that if you continue to breed splash to splash they will keep getting lighter and lighter which to me loses what a blue laced red is supposed to be. I've seen quite a few chicks posted lately that are so light in color I question how much lacing if any they're going to have......let alone any blue color.

I dont use straight combs, and I have good fertility. This year I did not use any blacks as I didnt have any very good blacks, but I don't hesitate to use them, either. Last year I did and ended up with very nice coloring. If I use black, I use a black roo over blue and splash hens. But again, many many people prefer the splash over the blue (myself included). This year I have the splash roo over blue and splash hens.

My lines came from Foley's, Suzanne Osio, Barber, and others.

Last edited:
We had our last flock for 4 years and only 3 out of the flock were ones we bred and kept and they were 2 when we sold them. The splash from Paul's certainly is an upgrade from my last flock. I had thought about getting some Silvers from Foley and may get a few more BLRW from him to raise up and compare. Like I said I think bluepoultry mixes the two anyhow. I've heard about the single comb and fertility but I have never (knock on wood) had any problems as of to date.

Brandon

yotetrapper I used to have barber lines and so far I can tell a bit of difference between these new ones. I do have 2 hens that have a bit more gold than I like so far. If they keep it I will likely sell them. Besides them so far everyone looks great and I look forward to fall when they mature a bit more.

brandon

Back
Top Bottom