New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Excellent source of animal protein.

That it is, however, I was leery of the Brahmas, with their current molts and neverending crop issues, eating anything that may not agree with them. A few got in their little bites and before that, Bailey was hiding in the trees just munching away so she got most of whatever was eaten.

Brandy is attempting to go broody. Not happening, sister, not at the beginning of winter! She just got her weight back from her broody spells and her molt and I'm not risking her just when we're about to go into the coldest season. Silly hen. She can do it in mid-to-late spring if she wants. By then, I bet Bonnie will be following in her footsteps and I'll be pulling my hair out again with serial broodies. I hope that Hector's daughters, Maddie and Jane, are not broody types like their mother and Aunt Thea. I have enough!

Brandy may be snapping out of it (I hope, I hope, I hope). She's doing more off the nest messing around, less clucking. The entire flock is stuck inside because of weather, have been for days now, so maybe their presence is making it hard for her to be settled in there, who knows? And I've been bringing her warm grits and eggs or oatmeal with either probiotics or plain yogurt in it in the a.m. to make sure she gets some nutrition and keep her crop from going bloaty like it does when she's broody (she eats only a few scratch grains and doesn't drink well). So far, so good on that count.

Back
Top Bottom