New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
These are blue and splash bantam Cochin chicks I hatched a few years ago. The dark one is blue, the rest were all splash chicks, you can see there was quite a bit of variation in their color.

I am personally not overly fond of splash, but the can be quite pretty.
I was indeed hoping for something different but at this point she (hopefully) is the only one. If the next batch is similar, the conversation becomes different and a new source will have to be sought out. Thanks for posting the photo, sweet little fuzzies.

Well, phooey!! I so dislike being fooled... I will withhold judgement until my next batch hatches. I purchased another batch of eggs from them that are now in the NEW incubator. I ordered 4 BBS partridge eggs and got 10, 4 Crested Cream Legbar and got 5, 4 BBS blue laced Wyandottes and got 6, so they are quite generous with their eggs but I am distressed that the facility is less than excellent. Please elaborate on your friends experience if you feel like spending the time. This is my second time using them and they are close (reasonably, I am in S. Oregon) and the shipping takes overnight. I have been very well pleased with the packaging and the condition of the eggs seems to be pretty good. None too porous. Anyway, we will see how this little chick develops. Thanks again.

Well, sometimes when collecting eggs, they can get mixed up if someone is not all that careful. It's a human mistake, but I happen to know the cost of their birds and eggs and you should get what you pay for or compensation for mistakes. Let's see how the chick develops and what it turns out to be. I'm not sure what would be yellow other than a white bird. Splash is usually a silvery-pearly color when they hatch, maybe with a yellowish tinge, plain splash, that is. I've had BBS Orps, BBS Ameraucanas and BBS Rocks.

I know that when folks see my photos and they come here, they see the same pens/buildings as in my photos, nothing is a shock. Not so with others with slick websites, just saying.

Last edited:
Well, sometimes when collecting eggs, they can get mixed up if someone is not all that careful. It's a human mistake, but I happen to know the cost of their birds and eggs and you should get what you pay for or compensation for mistakes. Let's see how the chick develops and what it turns out to be. I'm not sure what would be yellow other than a white bird. Splash is usually a silvery-pearly color when they hatch, maybe with a yellowish tinge, plain splash, that is. I've had BBS Orps, BBS Ameraucanas and BBS Rocks.

I know that when folks see my photos and they come here, they see the same pens/buildings as in my photos, nothing is a shock. Not so with others with slick websites, just saying.
OK, I have just realized something, in going back and looking at the descriptions. Is it possible that this is a 'gold' chick? These chickens are described as Gold/Blue/Splash not BBS (sorry, my mistake). If so, what is the adult coloring?

OK, I have just realized something, in going back and looking at the descriptions. Is it possible that this is a 'gold' chick? These chickens are described as Gold/Blue/Splash not BBS (sorry, my mistake). If so, what is the adult coloring?
No. Gold is another name for Partridge. It should be a much darker chick than that with markings. Gold is the same as the black in blue, black, splash. That term is used overseas more than it is here.

Last edited:
No. Gold is another name for Partridge. It should be a much darker chick than that with markings. Gold is the same as the black in blue, black, splash. That term is used overseas more than it is here.
OK, well I have sent a photo and an email to the folks at Papas Poultry so we will see what he says. I will let you know. I also asked a BYC member over on a thread about reviews of Papas Poultry how their partridge brahmas turned out. It is an older thread but maybe they will respond. The reviews mostly were quite positive but again, older. Thanks so much for the time.

OK, well I have sent a photo and an email to the folks at Papas Poultry so we will see what he says. I will let you know. I also asked a BYC member over on a thread about reviews of Papas Poultry how their partridge brahmas turned out. It is an older thread but maybe they will respond. The reviews mostly were quite positive but again, older. Thanks so much for the time.

No problem. Maybe it's just a genetic mystery chick. Or they put the wrong egg in there. Or maybe it's an odd splash chick.

Hey, @Sjisty Janice, what do you think of that chick? You have splash Brahmas.

Pulling the photo here so they don't have to look for it:

Splash Orp chicks:

0.jpg

Last edited:
It's probably a red splash. I've had some pretty light buff, or even yellowish chicks. This is how they turn out -

Thank you, Janice! See, this is why I call on the folks who know. Since I've never hatched a splash chick here yet, I was not sure what they would look like. Andrew did tell me that he was not fond of them because the pattern seems lost in there on most. The only splashes I know are the regular ones. Never had a yellow one.

Last edited:
Thank you, Janice! See, this is why I call on the folks who know. Since I've never hatched a splash chick here yet, I was not sure what they would look like. Andrew did tell me that he was not fond of them because the pattern seems lost in there on most. The only splashes I know are the regular ones. Never had a yellow one.
Thank you so, so much. I am learning, essential stuff. I think she is quite pretty even if you cant really see the 'partridge' on her. I dont mind a bit if she turns out like this. Thanks again.
It's probably a red splash. I've had some pretty light buff, or even yellowish chicks. This is how they turn out -

Super sweet looking birds. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom