New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
Have you ever let mama hen and her babies put with the rest of the flock? I have a mama hen with 3 chicks in a hospital cage inside our coop and she wants out. She's still taking good care of the babies and keeping them warm when they get cold but she's pacing in the cage and clearly wants out. I'm tempted to them out but I'm worried the chicks will get lost in the run. We have 2 other hens, a 8x8 coop, 8x16 run, no free ranging. Chicks are a week old today. I'm thinking maybe try it this weekend when I can watch them?

Have you ever let mama hen and her babies put with the rest of the flock? I have a mama hen with 3 chicks in a hospital cage inside our coop and she wants out. She's still taking good care of the babies and keeping them warm when they get cold but she's pacing in the cage and clearly wants out. I'm tempted to them out but I'm worried the chicks will get lost in the run. We have 2 other hens, a 8x8 coop, 8x16 run, no free ranging. Chicks are a week old today. I'm thinking maybe try it this weekend when I can watch them?
Nope, not until they were much older. By then, the mom was rejecting them. The only exception were the Belgian D'Anvers where the males are true daddys and help raise the chicks. I know mama would try to defend, but in the fight, babies could be trampled or attacked by other hens. Mine are snarky with babies.

Yes, looks like just her fluff is bluish.

Actually, it's good that she's a straight porcelain. With Bash, no chance of a splash. I have enough chances of that with having both Bonnie and Betsy. Not that there's anything wrong with splash, necessarily, I just prefer the blues and the regular partridge.

She's a pretty little thing, isn't she? Tomorrow, the Barred Rock cockerels will be gone and she'll have only little Pooh-bear to keep her company so I'm hoping that Pooh lives longer than most dwarfs. Cora is 9 weeks old tomorrow.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some Blue partridge at? Want to get my mom a few.
Thanks in advance
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom