New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
1f44d.png

I have a question about age with and maturity with brahmas; you've said before that Bash will take around two years to reach full maturity. Since your Brahmas are big chickens, would their life span be like that of big dogs? From what I've been told with dogs, the bigger the dog the shorter its lifespan generally.

I have a question about age with and maturity with brahmas; you've said before that Bash will take around two years to reach full maturity. Since your Brahmas are big chickens, would their life span be like that of big dogs? From what I've been told with dogs, the bigger the dog the shorter its lifespan generally.

I think their lifespan would be similar to my Blue Orpingtons. Suede was about 14 lbs, though he was not as tall as Bash. Same slow maturing nature in both. Suede lived to be 5 yrs 8 mos old, which I felt was a good life for a very large rooster. I think generally, you are right, Wyatt, that the really large roosters probably don't live as long as the small ones, but there are exceptions, of course.

Now would you say that the same goes for the hens of both orpingtons and brahmas? I just got two chicks of each of those plus two Easter eggers. I'm hoping for longevity out of all of them.

Actually, as long as you're not talking about hatchery birds, no. Roosters have stressful lives in the first place. Add to that, size, and they die earlier, in general. I think the hens live longer. Remember, I have Dusty, a Blue Orp, who is 9 years old. And Sjisty (Janice) says most of her Brahma hens seem to live to around 10 years old.

Bonnie has just gone into Day 20, on the heels of a 7 hour blackout! This is why I love hatching with broodies!

I candled her eggs while she was off the nest at midday. I saw chicks in the air cells of ALL TEN EGGS! And she is taking hands off if you reach for her now. I can get her off the nest and after a bit, I can say, "Bonnie, do you want to go back to your babies?", hold out my arms and she walks right to me to be picked up and taken back to the nest. But, you cannot touch her when she's back on it!

That is so cute!

She is a great mama, though the first time, she had only four babies to take care of, but this time, it looks like she'll have a full house! I hope she doesn't decide to do this a 3rd time this year. I can't let her do that. This is her second batch and she won't be a year old for a few weeks yet.

Back
Top Bottom