New, can someone help?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CherriesBrood, Feb 5, 2015.

1. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hi, I'm new here, I joined because I have 18 chickens. 3 babies, 1 rooster, & 14 hens. I just need some help on how to get started. Thanks so much for your time, hope to get some replies.

Edit: First question, is it alright for a rooster to eat the same food the hens are eating or does he need to eat some other type of chicken food?

DesiredFarm18

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Yes it is fine for the rooster to eat the same food as the hens, chicks and growing babies need different food from the adults tho my roo has always eaten what he pleased ( adults, growers and chick foods) with no problems only the hens would have problems as the growers doesn't have what they need to produce eggs at optimum hence they have layers designed for the laying hens. I hope this helps

3. CherriesBrood

Ok thank you, yes I already know that about the chicks, we've raised tons, I'm only asking about the rooster because he's the first we have decided to keep and we have only been feeding him the stuff that the hens eat. Well ok, thanks for your help. :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. CherriesBrood

Thank you :)

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. CherriesBrood

:D

8. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you are not feeding "layer" which has added calcium they can all eat the same thing, with oyster shells or other calcium supplement offered free choice for the laying hens who need extra calcium.
    :welcome

9. CherriesBrood

You know what I'm almost wondering if the food I feed them does. Would that be bad for him, or is it just to much of that can be to rich for him?

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and all molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by