New chick video on Youtube! Quail poops...

Overeasyplz

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Leesburg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx7CB15gNwI

This
is my very first video upload to Ytube.. I had been avoiding posting there as there seem to be too many mean people on that site. But since Flickr seems to hate Linux and photobucket refused to find the file I went ahead and took the plunge...enjoy!
The quails are 3 days old now, eating and drinking and pooping.. I had one with a curled toes and taped his tiny foot flat. I hope it works! Another chick is walking a little funny after we cleaned the brooder. My only thought onto what has happened is that he may have sprained one of his legs when we moved them. i hope he recovers!

Last edited:
Precious!!!
love.gif

Another side note: I. Will. Not. Drag. Out. Bator!!!
he.gif
I will have control.
fl.gif

something that can happen to make them walk funny is a deficiency disease called perosis. if you search it on this site you will find lots of info on it mostly regarding chickens. I used to get it with my babies a lot before I found the right sort of food (hard to come by in New Zealand). Their hock joints swell up and the leg turns sideways - its the tendon slipping out of place. I would be tempted to stick a vitamin supplement in their water on the offchance because perosis is pretty much incurable without surgery and I had to cull mine that had it since what vet is going to perform surgery on a teeny quail?

that is THE CUTEST video!

About your chick who walks funny - I don't know about perosis - but if it is just strained it should heal up quite quickly.
I know because... I still feel terrible about it... I dropped one of my quail when it was just a day old - about four feet- onto a wood floor.
The first day, it limped a bit.
The second day, it could hardly walk - I had tearful conversations with my father about that best way to put it down if it should come to that.
The third day... I couldn't tell which one it had been. All four were running around without a problem.
The moral of this story is... Let it go a few days, maybe it'll heal up. Darkfur's vitamin suggestion couldn't hurt either way.

I also had a chick with curled toes - I didn't tape it because it could walk ok. Now a week and a half later I can't tell which one that was either - the toes have straitened on their own. I was wondering if anyone else had that sort of experience - maybe taping isn't very important in non-extreme cases?

-Zay

You know, I can't seem to find the funny walker either today! They are all running around just fine. I found the tape that I had fixed the foot with but no one has curled toes today either.. I started them on vitamin/electolytes in their water, they are GROWING!!! I see today when I came home they had cleaned their plate, sucked up all their water, (which I filled both of before work not 8 hours ago) and have thoroughly coated their floor in poops.. and they were peeping sadly..
sad.png
So I fed them and watered them and it was like a shark frenzy in there. Now they are quiet and sleeping... Gosh they are so cute! And they are gaining mass now when I pick one up I can feel like I'm holding something!

PS got another batch of T A&M's eggs from Mamawolf today out of texas.. gonna set tonight..I am nuts!!

Back
Top Bottom