New Chicken - abnormal stool?

Waddlesroo

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2023
Hi I’m new to the chicken community, I’ve had my chickens for about a year now in my backyard. I just got a new laying hen tonight and she took her first poop while transferring her into a kennel. I am quarantining; she has her set up already away from my other chickens. I noticed her stool looks different from what I’m used to. She comes from a ranch and I’m not sure what to look out for as far as parasites. Should I deworm as a precaution and what are some good options? I have the picture below for reference it was taken at 10pm we got her pretty late, I will try to get a better look tomorrow morning. Any Info helps :)

Attachments

• ECC3DC29-728C-4D3B-B709-AFC6BE8B9778.jpeg
    ECC3DC29-728C-4D3B-B709-AFC6BE8B9778.jpeg
    641.9 KB · Views: 140
Maybe it's from changing food? I know chickens and quail can lay brown smelly ones when changing food or if they aren't getting the right nutrition.
If I were you I'd just treat it normally unless it starts acting funny. Maybe it will get better soon?🤷

It's good you are quarantining. If she is acting normally, eating and drinking, no obvious signs of illness, I would just monitor and see if droppings become more what you are used to seeing, It could be dietary, it looks very dark. If the bird had access to charcoal from a fire area that can make droppings dark. It could be internal parasites (if you have a vet that will do a fecal test for you that would be good) and most of the time you won't see any in the droppings. If it's any kind of illness, hopefully that will become clear during quarantine. If she's acting normally, then I would just watch for now, see if she lays, etc.

Maybe it's from changing food? I know chickens and quail can lay brown smelly ones when changing food or if they aren't getting the right nutrition.
If I were you I'd just treat it normally unless it starts acting funny. Maybe it will get better soon?🤷
Very true she was only being fed scratch grain and worms. I have a mixture I feed my chickens. She is definitely acting normal and sure loves watermelon. Trying to keep her cool here I’m AZ. Thank you for your help!

It's good you are quarantining. If she is acting normally, eating and drinking, no obvious signs of illness, I would just monitor and see if droppings become more what you are used to seeing, It could be dietary, it looks very dark. If the bird had access to charcoal from a fire area that can make droppings dark. It could be internal parasites (if you have a vet that will do a fecal test for you that would be good) and most of the time you won't see any in the droppings. If it's any kind of illness, hopefully that will become clear during quarantine. If she's acting normally, then I would just watch for now, see if she lays, etc.
She is eating and drinking normally so far, feeding her a little watermelon to keep her cool in this AZ heat. She’s not showing signs of illness and she laid an egg few hours ago! Her dropping just looked very watery and dark really dark. I know the watermelon makes it runny so I know if I see that still it’s from the watermelon. I’ll make an appointment with my local vet and see when I can bring in a stool sample! Thank you so much! If it were Internal parasites would you avoid eating the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom