New chicken - is she sick?? Help!

rah1997

Hatching
Jun 10, 2018
Hi all,

Three days ago I bought a new silkie and araucana from a local breeder. We have a flock of 10 other birds (bantams, silkies, polish, rhode island reds). The araucana appears to have settled in fine, although still getting pecked a bit, however I am really worried about the new silkie. When I purchased the silkie she was walking around, eyes open and acting completely normal however since introducing her to the flock she is withdrawn, keeps her eyes shut and stays in one place with her head hidden within her wing. She isn't eating or drinking and when I pick her up she struggles slightly however will stay perched wherever I place her down, not interested in anything. I am getting really worried about her, she did not eat or drink at all yesterday and in the end I syringe-fed her water, which she took. Is it possible for chickens to go into shock? She appeared absolutely fine when I bought her at the breeder but now just looks like she is giving up.

I don't know what to do!

Thanks for your help x

That sounds like a sick bird. Yes, chickens can go into shock, like most animals, but it's only from serious injuries. She's not in shock. Probably the stress of being moved let some sort of illness take hold.
Does her crop feel okay? Any respiratory symptoms like sneezing?

Did you quarantine them? It’s best to keep them well away from your flock for 3/4 weeks so you can keep an eye out for any illness so you don’t introduce that to your flock.

That sounds like a sick bird. Yes, chickens can go into shock, like most animals, but it's only from serious injuries. She's not in shock. Probably the stress of being moved let some sort of illness take hold.
Does her crop feel okay? Any respiratory symptoms like sneezing?

Yep her crop feels fine and doesn't have any obvious respiratory symptoms. I can't see any lice or mites on her either.
The only thing I have noted is that one eye was watering a little bit, the fluid is clear and not building up around the eye at all!

Back
Top Bottom