New Chicken Lady!

redheadedchicky

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 21, 2018
Oak Harbor, WA
Hi everyone. I am Brandie and I've been a lurker for sometime now. This site has been tremendous in helping me start our new flock! I have 4 3 weeks old chicks right now. 2 red sex links and 2 olive easter eggers. They have been doing great in their brooder box while I have been fine tuning their coop. My next task is to attach a predator apron around the coop. I live in a residential neighborhood, so I would imagine raccoons are probably going to be the biggest problem.
I'm married to a naval aviator who is often deployed, and we have 2 daughters, 3 and 5 months. I am a professional portrait photographer, and I love to sew children's clothing.
I have been really enjoying this site. Whenever I take on a new hobby I tend to spend every spare moment researching so that I can absorb everything.

Hello Brandie and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in Oz - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island.598568/ (I'm assuming that's where you are living)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hi everyone. I am Brandie and I've been a lurker for sometime now. This site has been tremendous in helping me start our new flock! I have 4 3 weeks old chicks right now. 2 red sex links and 2 olive easter eggers. They have been doing great in their brooder box while I have been fine tuning their coop. My next task is to attach a predator apron around the coop. I live in a residential neighborhood, so I would imagine raccoons are probably going to be the biggest problem.
I'm married to a naval aviator who is often deployed, and we have 2 daughters, 3 and 5 months. I am a professional portrait photographer, and I love to sew children's clothing.
I have been really enjoying this site. Whenever I take on a new hobby I tend to spend every spare moment researching so that I can absorb everything.

Hi Brandie ...I’m also a research nerd when it comes to new projects and I think it’s great to be prepared ....just remember everyone on here has their own opinion on how to do things so read and make an informed decision based on everything you’ve read.dont get bogged down ..keep it natural and enjoy it!

Hello and welcome! I also lurked on this forum quite a bit before I actually joined. :) I hope you and your family enjoy watching your chickens grow! I had chickens for most of my life, starting from as far back as I can remember. As a child, I absolutely loved having chickens and collecting their eggs. I would get so excited, especially about the Easter Eggers! I hope your daughters will find it as thrilling as I did! :)

welcome-byc.gif
I know you'll enjoy it here!!

Back
Top Bottom